19 January 2018
   
ED and Zambia’s Lungu in ‘open talks’
African leaders wait for an apology from Trump
ED Shocker: Mugabe, 93, forgot he fired me
UK-ZIM: Mnangagwa exploits Brexit chance
MDC-T devastated by Bennet’s death
30 ZRP bosses fired, CIO spies too
Parliament: 11 G40 ministers, MPs fired
MDC-T’s Gutu scoffs at party HQ ban
MORE NEWS
SOE DEBATE: Privatise most parastatals
‘Mobile money tax will get dodger vendors’
MORE BUSINESS
Delight as ZBC 'Iron Lady' suspended
Sulu arrested over $4,000 child support
MORE SHOWBIZ
Tendai Ndoro special - says Ajax coach
Zim cricket official charged with fraud
MORE SPORTS
Elections: Not a moment to be lost
A view beyond the Zimbabwe coup
MORE OPINION
 
Mnangagwa off to Davos empty handed
Economy: the need for a paradigm shift
MORE COLUMNISTS
 
 
Potraz slaps down Econet over low tariffs
20/08/2013 00:00:00
by Staff Reporter
 
 
RELATED STORIES
Econet insures farmers against crop failure
Potraz still chasing Econet over tariff cut
Econet defends Telecel disconnection
Econet Wireless profits down 16 percent
Anglo SA's Gomwe joins Econet board
THE Postal and Telecommunications Regulatory Authority of Zimbabwe (POTRAZ) has ordered Econet Wireless to stop offering its customers the 10 cent per minute tariffs and revert to the old 25 cents charge.

The shock directive, issued Tuesday, came just days after the country’s largest mobile phone network provider launched the surprise promotion.

The regulator said in a letter to Econet: “We hereby direct Econet to stop the implementation of the advertised tariffs with immediate effect and no further Buddie Zone advertisements should be flighted in any media issue or released after 4PM on Tuesday the 20th of August 2013.”

The surprise intervention by Potraz will raise questions about the role of the regulator in the telecoms industry.

Last Thursday, Econet announced it was cutting call charges from 23 cents to 10 cents, a 60% cut that the company said included discounts on its Buddie Zone platform.

But POTRAZ told Econet that it could not reduced call charges by more than 50%. If Econet did not raise the tariffs by Friday, the company would be penalised.

Econet expressed disappointment with the move and said it will take the steps necessary to protect the interests of its customers and ensure competitiveness is protected in the market.

“The regulator is there to create a level playing field. We are not aware of any similar order being given to other operators who are freely offering similar discounts,” the company said in a statement.

“Even when other operators violated key conditions of their licence, we did not see any such threats being made. Now when we take steps to deliver affordable services to our own customers, we are barred. This leaves us wondering just how level our playing field really is.”

The 10 cents tariffs had been well received by the public, with usage having risen sharply since the tariff was effected, Econet said.

“The move by POTRAZ will disadvantage millions of Econet customers who were already enjoying the heavily discounted call charges on Econet and to other networks,” the company added.



Advertisement


 
Email this to a friend Printable Version Discuss This Story
Share this article:

Digg it

Del.icio.us

Reddit

Newsvine

Nowpublic

Stumbleupon

Face Book

Myspace

Fark

 
 
 
comments powered by Disqus
 
RSS NewsTicker