20 January 2018
   
Tsvangirai golden handshake confirmed
DisGrace sneaks out three luxury cars
ED cuts Bob Singapore crew from 38 to 22
Call for Diaspora Minister and MPs
ED so over confident it worries him
Priscilla demands coup ‘killings’ details
CBD maize roasting must end now: Min
Tsvangirai faces disgraceful exit: Judge
MORE NEWS
ZTA targets domestic tourism
SOE DEBATE: Privatise most parastatals
MORE BUSINESS
Delight as ZBC 'Iron Lady' suspended
Sulu arrested over $4,000 child support
MORE SHOWBIZ
Mapeza targets CAF CL group stages
Tendai Ndoro special - says Ajax coach
MORE SPORTS
Elections: Not a moment to be lost
A view beyond the Zimbabwe coup
MORE OPINION
 
Mnangagwa off to Davos empty handed
Economy: the need for a paradigm shift
MORE COLUMNISTS
 
 
SA bank mulls Kariba upgrade funding
13/03/2014 00:00:00
by Staff Reporter
 
Kariba upgrade financing ... DBSA boss Moe Shaik
 
RELATED STORIES

THE Development Bank of Southern Africa (DBSA) is studying proposals to finance expansion of the Kariba hydro power station, it has been revealed.

The development was confirmed at a seminar on the Zimbabwe Agenda for Sustainable Socio-Economic Transformation (ZimAsset).

DBSA Group executive for international finance, Moe Shaik told the seminar that the bank would assist with the expansion of the Kariba hydro and would continue to support the country’s economic recovery.

“We plan to increase our investments into the country but government needs to get a few things right; fix the investment laws,” he said.

“Government must create an enabling environment which attracts foreign direct investment as well as build sustainable institutions that spearhead infrastructure development,” Shaik said.

To date DBSA says it has invested US$270 million in various sectors of the Zimbabwean economy in the last four years but has said the country’s poor investment laws remain a deterrent for investors who want to put in more money.

Shaik said DBSA had extended financial support to public enterprises such as the Zimbabwe National Roads Authority and National Railways of Zimbabwe as well as private companies such as Zimplats and the Cotton Company of Zimbabwe.

DBSA is a development finance institution wholly owned by the South African government focusing mainly on large infrastructure projects in both public and private sector.

Addressing the meeting earlier, Deputy Minister for Finance Samuel Undenge said the government was working on ways to improve the ease of doing business in the country and one of these ways was the establishment of a one stop investment shop to facilitate investment.

Recently is was reported that the Zimbabwe Power Company (ZPC) was finalising a deal with a local financial institution to raise 10 percent of the funding for the expansion of the Kariba South Hydro Power, an official said.

The project will cost about US$355 million, with government through ZPC supplementing 10 percent which is about US$35 million. The China Exim Bank extended a US$32O million loan which will cater for the remaining 90 percent of the project funding.



Advertisement


 
Email this to a friend Printable Version Discuss This Story
Share this article:

Digg it

Del.icio.us

Reddit

Newsvine

Nowpublic

Stumbleupon

Face Book

Myspace

Fark

 
 
 
comments powered by Disqus
 
RSS NewsTicker