20 January 2018
   
Tsvangirai golden handshake confirmed
DisGrace sneaks out three luxury cars
ED cuts Bob Singapore crew from 38 to 22
Call for Diaspora Minister and MPs
ED so over confident it worries him
Priscilla demands coup ‘killings’ details
CBD maize roasting must end now: Min
Tsvangirai faces disgraceful exit: Judge
MORE NEWS
ZTA targets domestic tourism
SOE DEBATE: Privatise most parastatals
MORE BUSINESS
Delight as ZBC 'Iron Lady' suspended
Sulu arrested over $4,000 child support
MORE SHOWBIZ
Mapeza targets CAF CL group stages
Tendai Ndoro special - says Ajax coach
MORE SPORTS
Elections: Not a moment to be lost
A view beyond the Zimbabwe coup
MORE OPINION
 
Mnangagwa off to Davos empty handed
Economy: the need for a paradigm shift
MORE COLUMNISTS
 
 
Telecel workers appeal to govt, offer to buy 11 percent
04/05/2015 00:00:00
by The Source
 
 
RELATED STORIES
Telecel declines to appear before Parly
Minister gives Telecel ‘to friend and homie’
Telecel can survive, Mandiwanzira
Telecel: Closure ‘unfair, unwarranted’
Telecel ordered to pull down equipment
Brainworks dumps $20m Telecel deal
Telecel: We invested $300m, employ 1000
Govt shuts down Telecel, Mandiwanzira
Feuding shareholders agree Telecel truce
Chiyangwa blasts Mugabe's nephew

WORKERS at Telecel Zimbabwe, whose licence was cancelled last week, have appealed to government to reconsider its decision and allow them to buy 11 percent of the company’s shares.

The Postal and Telecommunications Regulatory Authority of Zimbabwe (Potraz) last week cancelled the mobile phone operator’s licence with effect from 28 April, and gave it 30 days to wind up operations and another 60 days to decommission its equipment.

“We therefore would like to appeal to the Government of Zimbabwe to seriously re-consider the decision to cancel Telecel Zimbabwe’s Licence.

“It is common cause that such a decision will have a profound negative impact not only on Telecel’s 1,000 employees but also on the nation as jobs, business, and revenue to the fiscus will be lost if this decision is seen through,” workers said in a statement on Monday.

They said the closure would also have a negative effect on downstream businesses including partners, suppliers, airtime vendors, dealers and agencies.

The workers also called for the fresh consideration of the indigenisation plan, proposed by the company and rejected by Potraz, to sell 11 percent shareholding to them through Employee Share Ownership Trust (ESOT).

“We also believe that the creation of an ESOT will significantly and meaningfully empower us as Zimbabwean citizens and is in line with the Zimbabwe Agenda for Sustainable Socio-Economic Transformation,” they said.

Telecel, which is Zimbabwe’s third biggest mobile operator with over two million subscribers, last week said it will challenge the decision to cancel its licence saying that it was unwarranted.

Two months ago, government cancelled an agreement with the firm which allowed it to operate without paying $137,5 million to renew its operating licence.

Dutch-headquartered communications firm VimpelCom owns 60 percent of Telecel with the remaining 40 percent being controlled by Empowerment Corporation (EC), a local consortium.



Advertisement


 
Email this to a friend Printable Version Discuss This Story
Share this article:

Digg it

Del.icio.us

Reddit

Newsvine

Nowpublic

Stumbleupon

Face Book

Myspace

Fark

 
 
 
comments powered by Disqus
 
RSS NewsTicker