31 July 2014
   
New Zimbabwe Header
Zimbabweans held over platinum in SA
July 31: Bob throws party as poor suffer
Supreme Court rejects Moyo poll appeal
Watchdog voices poll reform concerns
Don’t be fooled, top court pro-Zanu PF
'Miracle' oil a hit in bleak Zimbabwe
Ex-ZRP man jailed in UK for passport fraud
Bail reprieve for fraud accused Kadungure
MORE NEWS
Zimplats to spend $690m on refinery
Econet’s MasterCard to ease need for cash
MORE BUSINESS
Tuku in UK for Leicester, Luton shows
Rapper Shastro turns US ‘refugee’?
MORE SHOWBIZ
Mahachi: Sundowns say Monaco silent
Harare City confirm Mawiwi sacking
MORE SPORTS
Zim: A year since Mugabe’s landslide
Please let’s stop the carnage on our roads
MORE OPINION
 
Tsvangirai fails to inspire in London
ZimRights, was that really your opinion?
MORE COLUMNISTS
 
 
Cash for referendum found: Chinamasa
24/02/2013 00:00:00
by Staff Reporter
 
Referendum money raised ... Patrick Chinamasa
 
RELATED STORIES
Interview: Zim headed for second GNU
Supreme Court throws out NCA challenge
Tsvangirai launches ‘Yes’ campaign
Madhuku bid to block referendum fails
Courts cannot stop referendum: AG
Companies should fund referendum: PM
New constitution may be changed: Mugabe
New constitution must be rejected: Gwisai
Referendum called for March 16
Presidential powers curbed: Matinenga
Leaders announce constitution deal
Amendment 20 could sink COPAC draft

THE government has raised the money needed to finance next month’s constitutional referendum, a cabinet Minister has confirmed.

Zimbabwe had appealed to donors to help fund the March 16 referendum and elections expected later in the year after Finance Minister Tendai Biti said state coffers were virtually empty.

But with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), which financed to constitutional reform process unable to chip-in, Prime Minister Morgan Tsvangirai said the government would approach local companies to finance the referendum.

The Zimbabwe Electoral Commission (ZEC) had set the budget for the referendum at $75 million and Justice Minister Patrick Chinamasa said Sunday that the money had been raised.

“We can safely say that there is enough money that has been raised locally to finance the referendum. The referendum will not be stopped because of lack of money,” Chinamasa told the Sunday Mail.

“The President has gazetted the date for the referendum through the powers vested in him. So, the only thing left now is to hold a successful poll.”

Meanwhile Biti said the UNDP had told the government it could not fund the exercise because the request for support was submitted late.

“We are raising the resources for the referendum which is going to be held next month domestically. One needs to realise that we are doing it on our own,” he said.

“The UNDP wrote to us that we submitted our budgets a bit late. So, they will not be able to meet the timeline because of some bureaucratic procedures. I think they are going to fund the actual election, but, this time, we are going it alone.”

Copac co-chairman, Munyaradzi Mangwana said a publicity campaign would be launched Monday to ensure people were familiar with the draft new constitution.

A new constitution was part of a raft of reforms the GPA parties agreed to implement leading to elections for a substantive government later in the year.

The government will still need to raise more than US$100 million to finance the polls.


Advertisement


 
Email this to a friend Printable Version Discuss This Story
Share this article:

Digg it

Del.icio.us

Reddit

Newsvine

Nowpublic

Stumbleupon

Face Book

Myspace

Fark
 
 
 
comments powered by Disqus
 
RSS NewsTicker