28 July 2015
   
New Zimbabwe Header
Boozers football ref caged 4yrs for rape
Boy, 15, to be caned for raping girl
Gaddafi's son gets death, can appeal
No allowances for workers, Supreme Court
Ministers pay $2,000 to dine with Grace
Gweru tout fined for 'enjoying Cannabis'
2 men rape woman, steal her phone, cash
Hookers gang up, rob client of $3,000
MORE NEWS
Electronic payments to reach $50bln, RBZ
Oil prices slide after China mkt dive
MORE BUSINESS
Whitney Houston’s daughter dies aged 22
Sex tape: 50 Cent must pay $2m more
MORE SHOWBIZ
Harare striker impresses Swedish side
Didier Drogba joins Canadian MLS side
MORE SPORTS
Yamamoto: Leaders with 1970s mindset lack vision
Zimbabwe: Is Paradise Lost?
MORE OPINION
 
Mawere Business Class: God’s time
Letter from Harare: Choosing battles
MORE COLUMNISTS
 
 
Mozambique slams deadly Renamo raid
18/06/2013 00:00:00
by AFP
 
Condemning attack ... Govt negotiator, Jose Pacheco
 
RELATED STORIES
Renamo theatrics leave Chipinge anxious
Foreigners flee tense Mozambique
Moz leader offers rival face-to-face talks
Sekeramayi: Army ready for Mozambique
Mozambicans protest for peace, security
Renamo claims govt wants to kill leader
We can’t intervene in Mozambique: Ex-PM
Renamo could spark Zim economic crisis
We won’t standby, Zim warns Renamo
Renamo boss flees as base attacked, seized
Renamo leader says ready for talks
Rio Tinto halts exports over Renamo threats
Mozambique’s Renamo rejects talks offer
Zim helps bolster Mozambique's army

THE Mozambican government on Tuesday blamed opposition party Renamo for an attack a day earlier on a military arms depot that killed at least five soldiers amid faltering peace talks between the two parties.

"We were surprised by the tragic news that Renamo unleashed an armed attack," said Jose Pacheco, the ruling Frelimo's chief negotiator with Renamo.

Talks were set up after military skirmishes in April.

"We condemn this attack and warn that this attitude does not help democracy," Pacheco, who is also agriculture minister, was quoted as saying by Radio Mozambique.

Five soldiers died and two were wounded in an attack on an arms depot near the coastal city of Beira early Monday morning, according to state media.

"We received five bodies. They were the victims of shooting," Beira Central Hospital spokesperson Orlando Jamal told Radio Mozambique.

He confirmed two more soldiers were wounded in the attack, one of them seriously.

Other reports suggested six deaths, but officials weren't immediately available to confirm the casualties.

The attack occurred at the start of new talks between the two former civil war foes and amid Renamo's renewed militarisation.

Six previous rounds of talks have failed to yield a breakthrough on any of the major issues on the table, including Renamo's threat to boycott upcoming polls if the election law isn't amended.

Relations between the parties have been tense since the end of a 16-year civil war in 1992.

But Renamo lawmakers appeared to have been caught off guard by the news.

"I have no knowledge of this attack," the party's head negotiator, Saimone Macuiana, said Monday.

The attackers made off with an unspecified number of weapons from the military arsenal according to wounded soldiers interviewed by independent local television STV.

The attack bears a strong resemblance to raids carried out by Renamo rebels during Mozambique's civil war on government armouries.

The raid briefly shut down the crucial Sena railway line, which transports coal from mines in the northwest to Beira port.

"Yesterday all trains using the Sena line received instructions to interrupt their circulation at 07:30 and to restart at 14:00," Acucena Paul, spokesperson for Brazilian miner Vale, told AFP.



Advertisement

British-Australian Rio Tinto also uses the line to export coal from its operations in Tete province.


 
Email this to a friend Printable Version Discuss This Story
Share this article:

Digg it

Del.icio.us

Reddit

Newsvine

Nowpublic

Stumbleupon

Face Book

Myspace

Fark
 
 
 
comments powered by Disqus
 
RSS NewsTicker