22 October 2017
   
BREAKING: WHO revokes Mugabe offer
WHO: Moyo seethes as Mugabe shamed
Mugabe UN honour offensive; Irish min
Gukurahundi event: cops block Dabengwa
PRC: No contest, Mujuru our automatic boss
Mthwakazi: Zim men target our women
Biti: Govt worsening Zim high risk profile
Gweru heeds Mugabe order, clears vendors
MORE NEWS
EU to Zim: Speed up economic reforms
Zim currency crisis: When the market rules
MORE BUSINESS
Mr Ugly is back! 13 up for 2017 gong
EU Film Festival comes to Bulawayo
MORE SHOWBIZ
Huddersfield hand Man U first defeat
Premiership takes Chibuku break
MORE SPORTS
Zimbabwe is Africa’s shakedown state
Napping dictator no Mandela match
MORE OPINION
 
Sunday Roast: Brave, heroic diarrhoea!
Clerics! Please plead the cause of the poor
MORE COLUMNISTS
 
 
Families homeless after Shabanie mine evictions
30/10/2013 00:00:00
by Staff Reporter
 
Bid to reclaim mines ... Mutumwa Mawere
 
RELATED STORIES
Govt secures investors to restart SMM
ZMDC resumes mining at Shabanie mine
High Court blocks SMM workers eviction
Foreign investors target SMM

NINE former Shabanie Mine workers and their families were on Monday evicted from company houses, a union representing the troubled company’s former employees has confirmed.

Shabanie Mine ex-Workers’ Association chairman, Hilton Nhidza told NewZimbabwe.com that the workers and their families had been left homeless and were living in the open.

“It’s unfortunate that management at the company have chosen to render these families homeless," said Nzira.

"Some now leave in makeshift houses while others stay in the open exposing them to the harsh weather conditions.”

Nhidza said four other families including his own were served with 48-hour eviction notices on Wednesday.

“Me and four other families were yesterday served with 48 hour ultimatums,” he said.

He said the affected families have since engaged lawyers to contest the evictions.

Over 500 workers including pensioners and families of deceased employees are said to be facing eviction from company houses.

Nzira said the workers werehowever, owed outstanding salaries by the company which backdated to 2009.

Shabanie and Mashaba Mines have been facing operational challenges for the past decade with workers going for several years without getting paid.

Recently the mines’ former owner, South Africa-based business tycoon, Mutumwa Mawere, recently filed a Constitutional Court application seeking to repossess companies taken over by government, including Shabanie and Mashaba mines.

The mines were taken over by government in 2004 after allegations that Mawere had externalised foreign currency. The businessman denies he allegations.



Advertisement


 
Email this to a friend Printable Version Discuss This Story
Share this article:

Digg it

Del.icio.us

Reddit

Newsvine

Nowpublic

Stumbleupon

Face Book

Myspace

Fark

 
 
 
comments powered by Disqus
 
RSS NewsTicker