28 March 2015
   
New Zimbabwe Header
Tutu for Graca Machel statue at UCT
Charges against Maleme farmer 'withdrawn'
Magaya: my duty to pray for Mugabe
Non-resident president off to Ethiopia
Parliament by-elections set for July 10
Aged Mugabe a danger to Zimbabwe
Mini skirt touts jailed for 8 months
Video: Journalists hector Econet ‘bullies’
MORE NEWS
Brainworks dumps $20m Telecel deal
Parastatals should list on ZSE, Chinamasa
MORE BUSINESS
Zim woman stars in asylum production
Two more women accuse Bill Cosby
MORE SHOWBIZ
Mushekwi’s Sweden chance uncertain
Papers: Sturridge out, Utd watch Walcott
MORE SPORTS
Mujuru: a victim of unquestionable loyalty
ZANU PF: a genuinely nationalist party
MORE OPINION
 
Dr Chireka: Child birth and Incontinence
Economic unfreedom in Zimbabwe
MORE COLUMNISTS
 
 
Mozambique leader offers rival face-to-face talks


Ready to talk ... Mozambique President Armando Guebuza

05/11/2013 00:00:00
by AFP
 
In hiding ... Renamo leader Afonso Dhlakama
 
RELATED STORIES
Renamo theatrics leave Chipinge anxious
Foreigners flee tense Mozambique
Sekeramayi: Army ready for Mozambique
Mozambicans protest for peace, security
Renamo claims govt wants to kill leader
We can’t intervene in Mozambique: Ex-PM
Renamo could spark Zim economic crisis
We won’t standby, Zim warns Renamo
Renamo boss flees as base attacked, seized
Renamo leader says ready for talks
Rio Tinto halts exports over Renamo threats
Mozambique slams deadly Renamo raid
Mozambique’s Renamo rejects talks offer
Zim helps bolster Mozambique's army

MOZAMBIQUE’S government has called on the leader of revived rebel movement Renamo to come out of hiding for face-to-face talks, in a bid to end destabilising military skirmishes.

The Frelimo-led government called on its civil war foe Afonso Dhlakama to travel to Maputo on 8 November to discuss his grievances with President Armando Guebuza, according to a statement quoted by the state news agency on Tuesday.

Supporters of Dhlakama - a rebel leader in Mozambique's brutal civil war - have been involved in a series of deadly attacks and are demanding a share of the country's resource wealth.

For many Mozambicans the crisis has uncomfortable echoes of a 16-year civil war between Renamo and the ruling Frelimo party that resulted in the deaths of around one million people.

Amid nearly a year of simmering tensions and sporadic attacks on police and civilians, the Mozambique army raided Dhlakama's bush camp on 21 October.

He has been in hiding since then.

The factions signed a peace deal in 1992 and Renamo subsequently became the main opposition party, but has since seen its support erode.

Guebuza said he wanted to hold talks "out of respect for the strong wishes of the Mozambican people", his office said.

Thousands of people marched across the country last Thursday to protest a range of issues, including the prospects of a new war.

A face-to-face meeting between the two leaders is widely seen as the only way of ending the impasse after months of dialogue between Renamo and the government failed to yield results.

Gunmen, reportedly from Renamo, have attacked civilian vehicles almost daily on the main north-south highway in central Mozambique since the fall of Dhlakama's bush camp.

Last week Guebuza told AFP in an exclusive interview "the solution is dialogue. It is not a military solution", a day after government forces attacked another Renamo camp.

Both sides have said they want peace, although the tit-for-tat clashes continue.

Renamo has in the past called for Guebuza to travel to the central Sofala province for talks, where Dhlakama has strong support.



Advertisement


 
Email this to a friend Printable Version Discuss This Story
Share this article:

Digg it

Del.icio.us

Reddit

Newsvine

Nowpublic

Stumbleupon

Face Book

Myspace

Fark
 
 
 
comments powered by Disqus
 
RSS NewsTicker