27 July 2017
   
Shock as Grace tells Bob to name successor
Bid to smuggle cars into Zim foiled
Bob replaces Auditor who exposed govt
-- Can new Auditor fill Chiri’s high heels?
Zanu PF violence could cause civil war: MDC-T
Mnangagwa: prisoners have no rights, dont vote
VP: Mugabe angry with absentee ministers
Politicians divide on tribe, class: Nkosana
MORE NEWS
German safari firm gives NRZ a lifeline
Bulawayo council meets budget targets
MORE BUSINESS
Bulawayo: Models photo exhibition opens
MultiChoice: Dstv not leaving Zimbabwe
MORE SHOWBIZ
Dembare thrashed 3-1 as Caps United held
Katsande opens up about his father
MORE SPORTS
Bond notes – a big lie and a fraud
Mujuru & the case of a dream deferred
MORE OPINION
 
Zimbabwe: Obstacles to Pan-Africanism
Gukurahundi: Behind the hatred, disunity
MORE COLUMNISTS
 
 

After typhoid, Zimbabwe records cholera cases

17/03/2017 00:00:00
by Sports Reporter
 
 
RELATED STORIES
Cholera fears: Govt appeals to Magaya, NGOs
Cholera outbreak looms in Harare, party
UN under fire over cholera cover-up
New cholera fears as housing crisis deepens
Chiredzi hit by cholera outbreak

ZIMBABWE is battling to contain yet another cholera outbreak nearly a decade after over 4 000 people lost their lives to the disease.

Two people are suspected to have succumbed to cholera, the Health ministry revealed this Thursday.

One case was confirmed at Rupangwana clinic in Chiredzi district.

“To date there is one confirmed case at Rupangwana and three suspected cases in Chinyamukwakwa of which two have died,” deputy Health minister, Aldrin Masiiwa, told a news conference.

“The three suspected cases had contact with the confirmed index case admitted at Rupangwana clinic in Chiredzi district who had come from Chipinge on the 9th of March 2017. The cases are being managed at the two clinics in Chiredzi and Chipinge.”

The outbreak comes as the country is recovering from a typhoid outbreak that claimed nine lives and affected over 200 people. Cholera causes severe vomiting and diarrhea which can turn fatal in a few hours if not treated.

The ministry believes the outbreak could have been caused by the recent floods which left the communities without safe drinking water and access to health facilities or may have spread from Mozambique.

“The area where the cases have been recorded is adjacent to the border where there is an influx of people from Mozambique. The rapid response teams are on the ground conducting assessment. Medicines and other supplies are being mobilised and moved to the affected communities,” he said.

“My ministry, with the help of WHO and other partners, has 10 diarrheal kits in all provinces each capable of treating 500 cases. Non Food Items kits which include soap, water treatment tablets, buckets and others have also been prepositioned.”

Mozambique has recorded over 1 200 cases since beginning of this month. There is significant human movement across the boundary line of the two countries to the extent that the communities were recently complaining about losing cattle to Renamo raids.

Last year Zimbabwe recorded another case from the same area.

Nevertheless the country has, for years, been battling to contain waterborne diseases owing to poor supply of water, waste collection and sewage systems.

Lives are lost to typhoid, diarrhea and dysentery every year.

 



Advertisement


 
Email this to a friend Printable Version Discuss This Story
Share this article:

Digg it

Del.icio.us

Reddit

Newsvine

Nowpublic

Stumbleupon

Face Book

Myspace

Fark

 
 
 
comments powered by Disqus
 
RSS NewsTicker