21 January 2018
'Zimbabweans mentally ill after Bob horror'
Chamisa, Speaker row over G40 MP purges
ZRP reverses decision to fire top cops
Bennett: Clues sought in chopper crash
EU, UN should observe elections: Pres
ANC agrees to force Pres Zuma out
Africa 'shithole' now tourism trump card
Tsvangirai golden handshake confirmed
Buyanga responds to investment call
ZTA targets domestic tourism
Delight as ZBC 'Iron Lady' suspended
Sulu arrested over $4,000 child support
Cricket: ICC clears Zimbabwe's Vitori
Zidane fuels Neymar to Real talk
Elections: Not a moment to be lost
A view beyond the Zimbabwe coup
Mnangagwa off to Davos empty handed
Economy: the need for a paradigm shift

Mthwakazi protestors freed, charges dropped

03/01/2018 00:00:00
by Bulawayo Correspondent
Gukurahundi worry ... President Emmerson Mnangagwa
Mthwakazi Party stages Byo court protest
Gukurahundi demo: Outrage over 8 arrests
Mthwakazi: Zim men target our women
We're ready to fight, Mthwakazi leader
Mugabe accused of Sth Sudan 'hypocrisy'
Siwela gets Supreme Court date
Secession not ZAPU policy: Dabengwa
Chidyausiku 'stalling' Siwela bail
Mat. separatists burn flag
MDC pays bail for Mthwakazi man
Bail glitch keeps Mthwakazi pair in jail
Mthwakazi pair released on bail
Mthwakazi trio: nothing to lose but their chains
Mthwakazi trio's bail shortlived
Judge to rule in Mthwakazi trio's bail bid
ZLHR split: tackling the jumbo in the room
Mthwakazi trio's case splits lawyers
Mthwakazi trio 'have case to answer'
Siwela treason hearing abandoned
Siwela faces treason charge

BULAWAYO: Eight Mthwakazi Republic Party (MRP) supporters who were arrested at the Zimbabwe International Trade Fair (ZITF) on Sunday have been released and charges against them dropped.

The activists were arrested at a ZITF event addressed by President Emmerson Mnangagwa. They were protesting against his involvement in the Gukurahundi genocide in the early 80s

City lawyer Dumisani Dube from Abameli Human Rights Lawyers told NewZimbabwe.com the State conceded the defence submission that their clients had no case to answer and that their constitutional rights had been violated following their arrest by the military and the police.

“After serious contestation from the defence counsel, the state concurred that the concept of free and fair trial was violated in particular the right to be told what offence or charge which was being laid against them at the time of their arrest.

“The other thing is that the military police have got no arresting powers especially on issues to do with civilians,” said Dube.

The defence lawyers also objected “strongly to the torturing” of the accused while in custody by the both the military police and the police.

“Seven of the accused have been hospitalised following the torture,” said Dube.

“There is strong evidence from the state doctor who was provided by the police which showed that they were seriously injured. Even on the main facts, we also advised the state that there was no offence which was committed.

“I think it was people who over reacted. So, after consulting their superiors in Harare, the prosecutors decided that as an act of law, the rights of the accused were violated.”

The attorney said the activists had also been detained for more than the permitted 48 hours.

Initially, all eight were charged with undermining the authority of the President but this was later altered to disorderly conduct in a public place.


Email this to a friend Printable Version Discuss This Story
Share this article:

Digg it






Face Book



comments powered by Disqus
RSS NewsTicker