31 October 2014
   
New Zimbabwe Header
Commission to probe Zanu PF divisions
Ex-minister held for 'celebrating' sata death
Protests force Burkina Faso leader out
Weakened MDC-T hopes to reboot
Vote Mujuru out, says Mugabe
Zim loses $6 billion tobacco revenue
War vets’ leader savaged by Mugabe
Interview: Ex-PM on congress and vision
MORE NEWS
$18mln entertainment park for Vic Falls
Profiteering fuels US$3bln import bill
MORE BUSINESS
Mhere, Zhakata to share Cape Town stage
Macheso son-in-law threatens expose
MORE SHOWBIZ
Caps United ruin league campaign
Mahachi: South Africa PSL defenders slow
MORE SPORTS
Participation and reality based Economics
Africa: Not yet Uhuru
MORE OPINION
 
Dr Chireka: On the junior doctors' strike
Open letter to Grace Mugabe
MORE COLUMNISTS
 
 
John Nkomo: We are sorry
08/12/2012 00:00:00
by New Zimbabwe Comment
 
Alive ... Vice President John Nkomo
 
RELATED STORIES
Police officers 'stole from Nkomo home'
Special Zanu PF congress for new VP
Mugabe peace call as Nkomo buried
Tears as Nkomo body begins final voyage
Nkomo declared hero, burial on Monday
Bennett breaks ranks over Nkomo
John Nkomo: what they said
Vice President John Nkomo dies
Fears grow for frail John Nkomo
Nkomo back from treatment in SA
Family dismisses Nkomo death rumour
Fresh fears for Nkomo's health
Nkomo back home after health scare
Nkomo 'hospitalised in SA'
VP Nkomo paying farm staff US$50
FOR a period of an hour on Saturday, this website carried a story under the headline ‘Vice President John Nkomo dies’.

The story was based on information given to us by two Zanu PF officials and a senior civil servant who unfortunately turned out to be sharing a common source. One of the sources we used has previously proved reliable, and was at the time attending the party’s conference in Gweru.

But further checks initiated immediately showed that we had been misled, and the Vice President is alive, although he remains gravely ill.

As soon as we became aware of this fact, we moved quickly to pull this misleading story from the website, and delete it from our servers.

New Zimbabwe.com has been online for nearly 10 years and during this period we have gained a reputation as an authoritative source of news from Zimbabwe.

If ever we fail, we are letting down the people who mean most to us: our readers.

On this occasion, we failed the nation and for that we are terribly sorry. We also wish to apologise unreservedly to Vice President Nkomo and his family, who unfortunately have had to deal with this speculation before.

In the 24-hour news cycle, mistakes like this will occasionally happen. But that is not the standard New Zimbabwe.com demands of itself. Our mission is to tell the truth.

Our readers will be rightly disappointed, but we are doubly determined to regain your trust and continue to be an accurate source for breaking news.

We wish the Vice President a speedy recovery while we strengthen our internal systems to ensure errors like this do not happen in the future.

Our apology is sincere, unreserved and heartfelt.
 
This episode is now behind us and we hope to continue to serve Zimbabweans honestly and truthfully.

Mduduzi Mathuthu
Editor



Advertisement


 
Email this to a friend Printable Version Discuss This Story
Share this article:

Digg it

Del.icio.us

Reddit

Newsvine

Nowpublic

Stumbleupon

Face Book

Myspace

Fark
 
 
 
comments powered by Disqus
 
RSS NewsTicker