SADC communique on Zimbabwe deadlock
to the web: 28/10/2008 10:08:02
28 October 2008
Issued following meeting in Harare, Zimbabwe, October 28, 2008
COMMUNIQUÉ EXTRA-ORDINARY SUMMIT OF THE ORGAN TROIKA, 27 - 28 OCTOBER 2008, HARARE, REPUBLIC OF ZIMBABWE
1. The Extra-ordinary Summit of the Organ Troika of Heads of State and Government met in Harare, Republic of Zimbabwe. The main objective of the meeting was to review the latest Political and Security situation in the region with particular reference to the current developments in the Republic of Zimbabwe.
2. The meeting was chaired by H.E. President Armando Emilio Guebuza, President of the Republic of Mozambique and Deputy Chairperson of the Organ on Politics, Defence and Security Cooperation.
3. The Extra-ordinary Summit was attended by the following Heads of States and Government or their representatives:
H.E. President Armando Emilio Guebuza, Deputy Chairperson of the Organ on Politics, Defence and Security Cooperation
H.E. President Kgalema Motlanthe, Chairperson of SADC
Right Honourable Dr. Sibusiso Barnabas Dlamini, M.P., Prime Minister
Hon. Assunção A Sousa dos Anjos, Minister of Foreign Affairs
4. The meeting was also attended by His Excellency Robert Gabriel Mugabe, President of the Republic of Zimbabwe, His Excellency Thabo Mbeki, Former President of the Republic of South Africa and Facilitator on the Zimbabwe Political Dialogue Leaders of MDC Formations, Honourable Morgan Tsvangirai, Prime Minister Designate of the Republic Zimbabwe, and Honourable Professor Arthur Mutambara, Deputy Prime Minister Designate and the Executive Secretary of SADC, Dr. Tomaz Augusto Salomão.
5. In his opening remarks, His Excellency President Armando Emilio Gueuza, President of the Republic of Mozambique welcomed all delegates to the meeting and re-affirmed SADC Organ's commitment in supporting the implementation of the Global Political Agreement signed on 15 September 2008 between the Government and the two MDC Formations.
6. The Extra-ordinary Summit of the Organ Troika also received a report from His Excellency Thabo Mbeki, Former President of the Republic of the South Africa and the Facilitator of the Political Dialogue on the Zimbabwe situation. The report, among others provided details on the progress made since the signing of the Global Agreement on the 15 September 2008 and the challenges experienced thereafter.
7. The Extra-ordinary Summit also noted with appreciation the commitment of the Zimbabwe stakeholders to the dialogue process, the need to speedily complete the process fro the socio-economic development for all the Zimbabweans.
8. The Extra Ordinary Summit of the Organ Troika appreciated the efforts of His Excellency Thabo Mbeki the facilitator of the Political Dialogue on Zimbabwe in finding an amicable solution to challenges facing the Republic of Zimbabwe and encouraged him to continue with his mediation efforts.
9. The Extra-ordinary Summit afforded His Excellency Robert Gabriel Mugabe, Honourable Morgan Tsvangirai, Prime Minister Designate and Honourable Professor Arthur Mutambara, Deputy Prime Minister Designate to brief the meeting on the progress made since the signing of the Global Political Agreement on 15 September 2008.
10. The Extra Ordinary Summit noted with concern disagreement in the allocation of Ministry of Home Affairs and urged the parties concerned to reach an agreement in order to enable the full implementation of the Global Political Agreement on 15 September 2008 as a matter of urgency.
11. The Extra-ordinary Summit however, noted the progress made so far regarding allocation on ministries and that there is convergence between the parties with respect to cooperative management of the Ministry of Home Affairs. The Summit thereafter strongly encourages the parties to pursue this option.
12. The Extra-ordinary Summit of the Organ noted that people of Zimbabwe are faced with difficult challenges and suffering that can only be addressed once the inclusive Government in place.
13. In view of the above, the Extra-ordinary Summit of the Organ urged the parties to genuinely commit themselves in finding a lasting solution to the current deadlock.
14. The Extra-ordinary Summit of the Organ recommended the holding of the full SADC Summit to further review the current political situation in Zimbabwe as a matter of urgency.
15. The Extra Ordinary Summit of the Organ Troika will continuously remain seized with the ongoing political situation in the Republic of Zimbabwe.
16. His Excellency President Guebuza, thanked His Excellency President Robert Gabriel Mugabe, other stakeholders and the people of Zimbabwe for the warm reception and hospitality.
All material copyright newzimbabwe.com
Material may be published or reproduced in any form with appropriate credit to this website