19 January 2018
   
Stop using Zisco as election con: ZCTU
LATEST: Bennett in fatal chopper crash?
Polls in '4 to 5' months: Mnangagwa
$430k cocaine woman blames Brazil firm
Tobva tadii paya trio bailed after 3mths
Businessman fleeces clinic of $27,000
Soldiers deployed all over rural Zim: MDC-T
MDC-T’s Mudzuri begs ZCTU for support
MORE NEWS
SEO DEBATE: Privatise most parastatals
‘Mobile money tax will get dodger vendors’
MORE BUSINESS
Delight as ZBC 'Iron Lady' suspended
Sulu arrested over $4,000 child support
MORE SHOWBIZ
Tendai Ndoro special - says Ajax coach
Zim cricket official charged with fraud
MORE SPORTS
Elections: Not a moment to be lost
A view beyond the Zimbabwe coup
MORE OPINION
 
Mnangagwa off to Davos empty handed
Economy: the need for a paradigm shift
MORE COLUMNISTS
 
 

Trump campaign faces subpoena in assault lawsuit

17/10/2017 00:00:00
by Associated Press
 
Dismissed the allegations as politically motivated ... Donald Trump
 
RELATED STORIES

NEW YORK: President Donald Trump’s presidential campaign has been subpoenaed for records related to past sexual assault allegations against Trump — charges the president on Monday dismissed as “made-up stuff.”

Lawyers for Summer Zervos, a former contestant on “The Apprentice,” asked the campaign in March to preserve any records in its possession concerning Zervos or other women who accused Trump of misconduct. Zervos says Trump kissed and groped her against her will in 2007.

During a Rose Garden press conference, Trump dismissed the allegations as politically motivated.

“All I can say is it’s totally fake news — just fake. It’s fake, it’s made-up stuff. And it’s disgraceful what happens,” he said. “That happens in the world of politics.”

Zervos’ request was filed as part of a defamation lawsuit. Lawyers for Trump For President agreed in April to hold on to any related records. Those sorts of subpoenas are routine in civil litigation.

It isn’t clear yet whether the case will advance far enough that the Trump campaign will be required to actually turn over those records.

Trump’s lawyers have asked that the case be dismissed, or delayed until he is no longer president.

Three legal scholars who, 20 years ago, submitted a brief to the Supreme Court arguing that President Bill Clinton wasn’t immune from a sexual harassment suit filed by Paula Jones, filed a similar brief in the Zervos case last month.

The law professors, Richard Primus, of the University of Michigan Law School, and Justin Florence and Larry Schwartztol, of The Protect Democracy Project, said Trump also isn’t immune from the Zervos lawsuit.

“No one in our nation is above the law, not even the president,” they wrote.

A decision on whether the lawsuit can proceed is not expected for some time.



Advertisement


 
Email this to a friend Printable Version Discuss This Story
Share this article:

Digg it

Del.icio.us

Reddit

Newsvine

Nowpublic

Stumbleupon

Face Book

Myspace

Fark

 
 
 
comments powered by Disqus
 
RSS NewsTicker