21 January 2018
   
Tsvangirai golden handshake confirmed
DisGrace sneaks out three luxury cars
ED cuts Bob Singapore crew from 38 to 22
Call for Diaspora Minister and MPs
ED so over confident it worries him
Priscilla demands coup ‘killings’ details
CBD maize roasting must end now: Min
Tsvangirai faces disgraceful exit: Judge
MORE NEWS
ZTA targets domestic tourism
SOE DEBATE: Privatise most parastatals
MORE BUSINESS
Delight as ZBC 'Iron Lady' suspended
Sulu arrested over $4,000 child support
MORE SHOWBIZ
Mapeza targets CAF CL group stages
Tendai Ndoro special - says Ajax coach
MORE SPORTS
Elections: Not a moment to be lost
A view beyond the Zimbabwe coup
MORE OPINION
 
Mnangagwa off to Davos empty handed
Economy: the need for a paradigm shift
MORE COLUMNISTS
 
 
ZIFA suspends Matongorere over Ballon D'or vote
08/09/2013 00:00:00
by Sports Reporter
 
Suspended ... Nelson Matongorere
 
RELATED STORIES
Matongorere ruling revealed next week
Matongorere Balon D'or hearings starts
ZIFA technical director Nelson Matongorere has been suspended for his alleged role in the Fifa balon dor voting scandal.
 
The decision was taken by the Zifa Board on Saturday.
 
Matongorere will appear before a disciplinary hearing.

He is alleged to have voted as then Zimbabwe captain Tapiwa Kapini in the 2012 awards

The award for the best player in the world for 2012 was won by Barcelona and Argentina superstar Lionel Messi for a record fourth consecutive time. Real Madrid’s Christiano Ronaldo was second and Messi’s Barcelona teammate Andres Iniesta third.

The Ballon d'Or is voted for by journalists, and national coaches and captains.

But according to FIFA’s official voting list, Matongorere voted as Zimbabwe captain and chose Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo, Gerard Pique of Barcelona and Messi in that order.

Former Zimbabwe coach Rahman Gumbo had Iniesta, Messi and Manchester United striker Robin van Persie while journalist Charles Mabika voted for Ronaldo, Messi and Real Madrid captain and goalkeeper Iker Casillas.

Matongorere, who denies the charges, has previously claimed that FIFA made a mistake.

“There could have been a mistake there (at FIFA) because there was no way I could have signed the captain’s form. I have my own place where I sign as technical director and I can also sign in place of the general-secretary if he is not available," he said.

“I am a professional and I cannot do that.”

The voting took place before the senior national team was disbanded following their failure to qualify for the 2013 Africa Cup of Nations finals.

 



Advertisement


 
Email this to a friend Printable Version Discuss This Story
Share this article:

Digg it

Del.icio.us

Reddit

Newsvine

Nowpublic

Stumbleupon

Face Book

Myspace

Fark

 
 
 
comments powered by Disqus
 
RSS NewsTicker