16 January 2018
   
Mnangagwa off to Zambia Friday
Special corruption courts soon: CJ Malaba
Millions in roads repair funds looted
ED denies stealing ideas from MDC-T
Chair Moyo says 3 VPs MDC-T’s main dilemma
Mujuru’s house nearly seized for Mphoko
Coup reformed CIO, Army, ZRP: Mangoma
Rivals rage as ED govt ‘bribes’ chiefs
MORE NEWS
Minister sells post-Bob Zimbabwe in Spain
Zim investment indaba set for South Africa
MORE BUSINESS
Racism: Malema party storms H&M stores
Donel Mangena rocks The Voice UK
MORE SHOWBIZ
Bangladesh easily beat Zimbabwe
FC Platinun star dumps Zimbabwe champions
MORE SPORTS
ZHUWAO BRIEF: ED-iots and election delay
A candid conversation with Zhuwao: Mawere
MORE OPINION
 
ED govt legitimacy & the church’s role
2018 election: Zim & the wealth card
MORE COLUMNISTS
 
 
CAF confirm Highlanders ban
27/11/2013 00:00:00
by Sports Reporter
 
 
RELATED STORIES
PSL reports hefty fall in match attendances
Bosso richer than DeMbare despite league loss
Dynamos eye Champions league impact
DeMbare suffer Africa sponsorship blow
Bosso star charges pub patrons with baton
Pasuwa basks in victory, targets Africa
Highlanders settle for second
Sithole the hero as DeMbare seal 20th title
We’ll play to win, Caps tell City
Expect no favours, Masomere tells Bosso
Rhinos confident of surviving chop
DeMbare likely to miss key players

THE Confederation of African Football (CAF) has confirmed Highlanders’ ban from continental club competitions following an unsuccessful appeal by Zifa.

Highlanders were banned for three years after they withdrew from the 2012 edition after the draw had been conducted.

Zifa had blundered after registering the Bulawayo giants against their will. Subsequent appeals have been turned down by CAF.

In a statement on Wednesday the national association said: “The Zimbabwe Football Association (ZIFA) would like to inform the football fraternity and the nation that Highlanders FC is not eligible to participate in CAF inter-club Competitions until 2015.

“We have received confirmation from CAF to the effect that it is not possible to engage Highlanders to take part in CAF Interclubs Competitions 2014. CAF cited that in 2011, Highlanders withdrew from matches with Nchanga (Zambia) in the CAF Confederation Cup.

“Highlanders had approached ZIFA to appeal to CAF on their behalf to reverse the ban but to no avail. In adherence to the said article, Highlanders FC remains suspended for 3 years following the withdrawal namely 2012, 2013 and 2014,” said CAF.

“We have written to our affiliate PSL to confirm to the Association the two teams that are going to take part in CAF Interclubs Competitions 2014.

“The Association has also asked PSL to check on the preparedness of the two teams to participate in the said Competitions.”

Dynamos will take part in the Champions League while How Mine are expected to participate in the Confederation Cup after reaching the Mbada Diamonds Cup final and following Highlanders’ ban.



Advertisement


 
Email this to a friend Printable Version Discuss This Story
Share this article:

Digg it

Del.icio.us

Reddit

Newsvine

Nowpublic

Stumbleupon

Face Book

Myspace

Fark

 
 
 
comments powered by Disqus
 
RSS NewsTicker