23 January 2018
Cholera: Angry minister blasts city councils
Mzembi challenges arrest; quits politics
Mudzuri: Amnesty for MDC-T cop murder 3
Mnangagwa: Grace mentally unstable
ZESA gave Chivayo $7m, not $5m: Parly
Botswana cops release Mugabe cars
Grace's luxury cars damaged in accident
Chamisa dares military chief on elections
Govt reduces excise duty on fuel
Filthy 5-Star hotels: Economy blamed
‘Am I African’ explores Zim's race conflict
Gafa’s Epworth concert draws thousands
Billiat might still leave: Sundowns coach
Katsande: Chiefs show championship mentality
Mnangagwa’s ‘New’ Zim merits support
Zhuwao: kleptocracy and EDiots in Davos
Mnangagwa off to Davos empty handed
Economy: the need for a paradigm shift
Disjointed Warriors crash out of Afcon qualifiers

Dejected ... Hardlife Zvirekwi and Milton Ncube show their disappointment after the game

01/06/2014 00:00:00
by Sports Reporter
Inconsolable ... Ovidy Karuru was in tears after the game
Afcon: Gorowa handed Zifa ultimatum
Gorowa fails to submit Afcon report
Zifa apologise, Gorowa staying put

(Tanzania won 3-2 on aggregate)

ZIMBABWE'S senior national football team has crashed out of the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers on Sunday.

The Warriros are out after a dreadful 2-2 home draw against continental minnows Tanzania in the first round, second leg of the qualifiers, played before a packed National Sports Stadium.

Angry fans hurled missiles as the players went down the tunnel at the end of the match as they could not stomach the misery.

This means the Warriors would have to now wait up to 2016 to try their luck again in the continental championships to be staged in Libya 2017.

Again the Warriors will have to scale the mountain from the same preliminary stage which saw them lose to Tanzania.

Not impressed ... Frustrated Warriors fans hurled missiles as the players left the picth

Coach Ian Gorowa sat on the bench moments after the game had ended and later took a somewhat languid walk for the centre of the park where his players were stood, sharing their disappointment.

He then found his way back to the dressing room without offering any post-match interviews to the media.

It took just 13 minutes for Chicken Inn linkman Danny Phiri to get his name on the score sheet.

The goal helped level the aggregate to 1-1 for the Warriors.

Libyan based Edward Sadomba did well to control a cross from the left and, spotting an unmarked Phiri inside the box, easily fed the midfielder who coolly slotted home to send the estimated 50,000 crowd into early celebration.

Battle royale ... Kuda Musharu fights for possession with a Tanzanian player

But then Nadir Haroub restored the Taifa Star's lead with his goal in the 26th minute that put the visitors en-route to the group stages of the qualifiers, heading past goalkeeper George Chigova from a poorly defended corner.

Right back Hardlife Zvirekwi had made the first error, turning his back on the ball when the Warriors were preparing an attack, allowing the Taifa Stars to take control.


From there, the visitors won the corner that Haroub headed home.

It was 2-1 in the 46th minute when normally reliable defender Eric Chipeta made a howler of a clearance and Thomas Ulimwengu sliced the ball past Chigova.

Midfielder Willard Katsande restored parity in the 55th minute to make it 2-2 but the hosts were still trailing the aggregate score at 3-2

What next ... Warriors coach Ian Gorowa with team manager Shariff Musa after the game

Email this to a friend Printable Version Discuss This Story
Share this article:

Digg it






Face Book



comments powered by Disqus
RSS NewsTicker