19 March 2018
Mnangagwa names looters; us$1bln stolen
Chinese dominate looters list; one firm $330m
'Angry' MDC-T youths warn defiant Khupe
Zanu Ndonga leader booed at MDC rally
Bona Mugabe robbers jailed 30 months
Chamisa banks on Tsvangirai sympathy
MDC-T splits; Khupe group joins Mujuru
Chamisa’s election not free & fair: Chinoz
SA group doubles Zim investments
Farmers owe Zinwa $39m, refuse to pay
Miss Albinism beauty pageant fights stigma
Muridzo convicted over hit and run crash
Highlanders win as Caps & City draw
Morocco: $16bn for World Cup venues
Why new dispensation keeps old problems
Bitter Mugabe repeats Berlusconi mistake
Zim politics and its eager prostitutes
Unpacking Mugabe’s Khupe overtures
Abandoned Uhuru cup final to be replayed in August
19/04/2015 00:00:00
by Sports Reporter I Supersport
Scored for Dynamos ... Ronald Chitiyo

THE Independence Trophy replay between Dynamos and FC Platinum is set to be staged on Heroes Day in August due to a congested Castle Lager Premier Soccer League calendar.

Saturday’s final between the two giants was called off at the muddy National Sports Stadium due to bad lighting after Zesa cut off power after 64 minutes of player when Dynamos were leading 1-0 through a Ronald Chitiyo goal in the 16th minute.

Referee Pedzisayi Chadya, match commissioner Lovemore Marange and the two captains Augustine Mbara (Dynamos) and Thabani Kamusoko (FC Platinum) agreed that the match could not go ahead due to bad light and it was called off.

Zifa spokesman Xolisani Gwesela said a decision would be made later, but hinted at a replay later in the season.

“A decision will be made after all consultations have been made, but it’s clear the match did not end  due to bad light and under such circumstances a replay would be in order,’ he said on Sunday.

FC Platinum returned to Zvishavane on Sunday morning, but are due back in the capital on Wednesday for a re-arranged match against Harare City.

Dynamos coach David Mandigora has expressed regret at the abandonment of the tie.

“It is unfortunate that action was stopped because of bad lighting. We were looking for a second goal to kill the match as a contest but power went off,” Mandigora said.

“The match was going on very well with us having an advantage and we never expected what happened. Although we were leading, I cannot say we were totally safe but we will just wait for the next step from the authorities. We will accept whatever they will decide.”

Meanwhile, the congested calendar will see the Warriors play in the Cosafa Cup in May, the Under 23 will also take part in the Under 23 Championships the same month before the 2017 Africa Cup of Nations qualifiers in June.

The league also has the eight team-One Wallet Cup and the 16-team Chibuku Super Cup on the calendar for this year and is targeting a November 30 finish.


Email this to a friend Printable Version Discuss This Story
Share this article:

Digg it






Face Book



comments powered by Disqus
RSS NewsTicker