21 March 2018
Mega-Deals: We don’t dish out cash, China
Min: Chinese looters won’t affect relations
Furious doctors defy government order
Teachers to go on strike over salaries
Harare: SA cocaine trafficker jailed 10yrs
No MDC Alliance VP yet: Prof Ncube
Man sodomises his three minor kids
Gonda: I returned to Zim a stranger
Mnangagwa: Africa can do much better
Chinamasa, Mangudya in China for funding
Zim Achievers SA to honour Mtukudzi
Trey Songz up for punching woman
PSL mum on ZPC Kariba, Platinum match
SA: Kaitano Tembo praises youngsters
Mugabe spoke for the marginalised, but
Whither ED, how tactful art thou?
ZimDiaspora: Bum cleaners, runaway fathers?
Autism: Awareness and interventions
Under fire Zifa boss looks to sacrifice CEO Mashingaidze

Problem pair ... Zifa boss Cuthbert Dube and CEO Jonathan Mashingaidze

21/09/2015 00:00:00
by Sports Reporter
could be fired from Zifa ... Jonathan Mashingaidze

ZIFA president Cuthbert Dube, in a desperate bid to save his job, is likely to fire his chief executive Jonathan Mashingaidze this week after the misappropriation of funds for the Warriors-Guinea Africa Cup of Nations match three weeks ago.

Dube faces a vote of no confidence on October 3 when an extra-ordinary meeting is due to be held at the Zifa Village.

That meeting comes hot on the heels of the reports that almost $12,000 is unaccounted for from the Afcon match with reports that board members paid themselves $4,000 from the game.

Board member Tawengwa Hara, a Bulawayo lawyer, has confirmed he was paid $400 for his travel expenses.

An audit is being carried about by the Sports and Recreation Commission (SRC) at the direction of the Ministry of Sport and Recreation.

The outcome was expected on Monday after which heads are expected to roll at the beleaguered national association. The sports ministry has a new boss in Makhosini Hlongwane after Andrew Langa was fired last week.

Dube has been accused on protecting Mashingaidze.

Mashingaidze and Dube have a long history together since the days of Buymore Football Club that Dube owned and once played in the Premier Soccer League.

The club was owned by Dube’s conglomerate Buymore Holdings, which has interests in property, bottle stores, supermarkets and medical supplies.

But the former Premier Services Medical Aid Society says charges against Mashingaidze should be tabulated and brought to him to take action.

“I have heard that I protect Mashingaidze, but why should I? I am saying it in his presence. If he is found to have embezzled money, he will be fired.

“I have no reason to protect him and I have said to the board members please document incidents where Mashingaidze has done wrong so that we use it to fire him.

“We can’t just fire him without a valid case against him,” Dube told a media conference in Harare at the weekend.

Zifa reported massive gate takings of $88,000 but then made a loss of $12,000 amid revelations that four board members paid themselves $4,000 from the day’s gate takings at Rufaro Stadium on September 6.

A donation of $20,000 from ‘Prophet’ Magaya was not reflected in the books while Zifa says it paid $3,000 to Herentals College for buses for both Zimbabwe and Guinea, yet the institution claims it was not paid.


A Harare businessman also offered $12,000 for the purchase of tickets for the Warriors’ foreign based players and, according to the books, he has been reimbursed, but he claims he has not received the money.

A Zifa extra-ordinary meeting is set for October 3 at Zifa Village in Mt Hampden and the “revoking of Dube’s mandate” is top of the agenda.

A supporters’ group, led by Bulawayo based businessman Eddie Chivero and aligned to some of Dube’s strongest critics, has laid fraud charges against the national association following the Guinea match.

Email this to a friend Printable Version Discuss This Story
Share this article:

Digg it






Face Book



comments powered by Disqus
RSS NewsTicker