18 January 2018
   
LATEST: Bennett in fatal chopper crash?
Polls in '4 to 5' months: Mnangagwa
$430k cocaine woman blames Brazil firm
Tobva tadii paya trio bailed after 3mths
Businessman fleeces clinic of $27,000
Soldiers deployed all over rural Zim: MDC-T
MDC-T’s Mudzuri begs ZCTU for support
Moyo claims CIO spy killed during coup
MORE NEWS
Bond notes here to stay, says Chinamasa
South Koreans in $70m Zim agro-project
MORE BUSINESS
Hubby bashes Star FM anchor in love row
$18/yr subscr too much for musicians
MORE SHOWBIZ
Zimbabwe beat Sri Lanka in thriller
Caps bid to rehire star forward Nhivi
MORE SPORTS
A view beyond the Zimbabwe coup
'Shit-hole': Just Take moral high ground
MORE OPINION
 
Economy: the need for a paradigm shift
Trump rage ignores truth: A response
MORE COLUMNISTS
 
 
Panama Papers: Fifa boss Infantino protests innocence
10/04/2016 00:00:00
by AFP
 
FIFA'S under-fire president Gianni Infantino
 
RELATED STORIES

FIFA'S under-fire president Gianni Infantino has insisted he has done nothing wrong despite being linked to the Panama Papers leaks, in Monday's edition of German magazine Kicker.

In an exclusive interview, the 46-year-old, who was voted as Fifa's new president in February, is adamant he acted correctly in a previous role as legal chief of European football's governing body Uefa.

Last Wednesday, Swiss police searched Uefa headquarters in Nyon as part of a "criminal mismanagement" probe into a Champions League television rights deal co-signed by Infantino in 2006.

Uefa's marketing partner, Team Marketing, sold the rights to Cross Trading, a firm owned by Argentinian father and son duo Hugo and Mariano Jinkis, who are now among 39 football officials and executives facing corruption charges in the United States.

The deal was revealed last week in the Panama Papers, a leaked set of 11.5 million documents that provide detailed information about more than 214 000 offshore companies listed by the Panamanian corporate service provider Mossack Fonseca.

"The whole process was correct and well documented," Infantino told Kicker.

"The way it has been presented is simply a disgrace.

"The agency's marketing team had recommended that the highest of only two tenders received a contract for the ancillary rights.

"The contract was negotiated by the marketing team in detail and examined by two divisions of Uefa, which according to standard procedure, was signed by two Uefa directors.

"In this case, I was one of the two directors, but depending on availability, it could have been two other directors.

"If, after the contract was concluded, the rights-buyers carried out some unfair transactions, neither Uefa nor I had any personal influence over that."

Infantino says he is sure he will be vindicated "when all the things are on the table".



Advertisement


 
Email this to a friend Printable Version Discuss This Story
Share this article:

Digg it

Del.icio.us

Reddit

Newsvine

Nowpublic

Stumbleupon

Face Book

Myspace

Fark

 
 
 
comments powered by Disqus
 
RSS NewsTicker