By Leopold Munhende
THE Zimbabwe Warriors will not be travelling by road like they did when they faced Malawi under Kallisto Pasuwa last time, the Zimbabwe Football Association (ZIFA) has said.
Officials confirmed that the national association has already paid for the squad’s airfares to and from Congo for Sunday’s 2019 Africa Cup of Nations Qualifier at the Stade Alphonse, says.
The match, which kicks off at 1630 hours at the Stade Alphonse Massamba-Debat comes after a week of turbulence in coach Sunday Chidzambga’s camp, having registered four injuries on his initial squad and a withdrawal by Leeroy Mavhunga who left the country for trials at Clube Desportivo Feirense in Portugal.
Speaking to NewZimbabwe.com, ZIFA spokesperson Xolisani Gwesela said that they had finalised all preparations for the game and were now waiting for a few players who had not yet reported for camp.
“We are leaving on 7 September and have already finished necessary arrangements for the squad,” he said.
The other foreign-based contingent of Tendai Darikwa, Adam Chicksen and Kelly Lunga all failed to make it after futile attempts to get them Zimbabwean passports.
Bloemfontein Celtics’ Ronald Pfumbidzayi, who has already reported for camp, watched his former club Caps United overcome Nichrut 2-0 on Sunday.
Zimbabwe will be looking to cement their position on the summit of Group G after an impressive 3-0 win over Liberia off a Musona hat trick in last year.
Congo Brazzaville lost 3-1 to DRC in their first match.
Despite losing Tinotenda Chibharo, Marvelous Nakamba, Costa Nhamoinesu, Ovidy Karuru and a hopeful Khama Billiat to injuries, Chidzambga’s spirits have been raised by reports which indicate that the Congolese have also lost their captain, Prince Oniangue.