Buyanga in 11th hour child return, faces jail

Spread This News

By Staff Reporter

FLASHY businessman Frank Buyanga finally returned his sick child to his ex-girlfriend as the net closed in on him and jail beckoned, Saturday afternoon.

Buyanga had turned into a fugitive from justice after breaking his custody and access arrangement with his former girlfriend Chantelle Muteswa with whom he has a son.

The businessman had literally turned the tables against Muteswa demanding that she be arrested for contempt after she allegedly failed to turn in the child’s passport in compliance with a court order.

But through her lawyer Munyaradzi Bwanya of Wilmot and Bennett, Muteswa appealed against a Magistrate Court order to release her son’s passport. However the contempt charge still stands.

In the meantime Muteswa also lodged a contempt charge against Buyanga for which the businessman now risks time in the slammer.

With Buyanga having vanished into thin air, a distraught Muteswa on Friday told she was desperate to have her son back indicating he was unwell.

“I am distraught. I have explored all legal options available to me with no success. My situation is compounded by the fact that the police at Borrowdale Police Station have especially been hostile to the court order forcing Buyanga to return my child with one of them telling me it is not urgent. Ironically some of them are talking to Buyanga daily,” said Muteswa.

At the time authorities had claimed they could not locate Buyanga or the four-year-old child.

However, Bwanya and his legal partner Lucky Jonasi made an ex-parte application seeking to have Buyanga forced to return the child. Bwanya said by some stroke of fortune, police finally served Buyanga with the court order.

“What should never be lost in all is that the mother of the four-year-old is deprived of the lawful custody simply because this person (Buyanga) can get away with it. It creates an impression in the minds of other rich and influential persons that they are somehow above the law,” said Bwanya.

Bwanya said he would now move to apply for a warrant of arrest despite Buyanga having returned the child 24 hours after the order.

“We will approach the courts to have our rights enforced,” Muteswa’s lawyer said.