By Staff Reporter
THE Zimbabwe Republic Police (ZRP) says it does not need foreign expert assistance to investigate the Bulawayo bomb attack which killed two people and left 47 injured.
Close to a month after the mysterious incident, little progress appears to have been made in investigations with two people arrested over the incident immediately freed without charge.
An opposition party with links to former president Robert Mugabe called on the government to seek the help of Britain’s Scotland Yard police service.
This was after Ethiopia, which suffered a similar attack, enlisted the assistance of America’s FBI.
Local media reports claimed that Harare had instead looked to Russia for help.
This was however, denied by the ZRP at a press conference in the capital Tuesday.
The head of the ZRP’s 2018 elections team, Senior Assistant Commissioner, Erasmus Makodza insisted that they “have the requisite skills, expertise and experience” to investigate the attack.
“We have been doing so many investigations at United Nations level in our peacekeeping operations,” said Makodza.
“Zimbabweans have always been given high positions in those UN peacekeeping missions and we are, actually, an export material rather than importers (of expertise).”
National police spokesperson Senior Assistant Commissioner Charity Charamba added, “The investigations are still going on and once we have something concrete we will be in a position to update the media and Zimbabweans and everyone else about the outcome.
“So far, according to my own knowledge, we have not enlisted the service of any foreign investigators.
“What I know is we have our team comprised of our own internal security that is investigating this bomb blast.”
The government believes that the bomb attack was an attempt on the life of President Emmerson Mnangagwa.
The Zanu PF leaders has blamed his political enemies for incident which left vice president Kembo Mohadi and cabinet minister Oppah Muchinguri among those injured.