New Zimbabwe.com

CAF confirm Highlanders ban

THE Confederation of African Football (CAF) has confirmed Highlanders’ ban from continental club competitions following an unsuccessful appeal by Zifa.
Highlanders were banned for three years after they withdrew from the 2012 edition after the draw had been conducted.
Zifa had blundered after registering the Bulawayo giants against their will. Subsequent appeals have been turned down by CAF.
In a statement on Wednesday the national association said: “The Zimbabwe Football Association (ZIFA) would like to inform the football fraternity and the nation that Highlanders FC is not eligible to participate in CAF inter-club Competitions until 2015.
“We have received confirmation from CAF to the effect that it is not possible to engage Highlanders to take part in CAF Interclubs Competitions 2014. CAF cited that in 2011, Highlanders withdrew from matches with Nchanga (Zambia) in the CAF Confederation Cup.
“Highlanders had approached ZIFA to appeal to CAF on their behalf to reverse the ban but to no avail. In adherence to the said article, Highlanders FC remains suspended for 3 years following the withdrawal namely 2012, 2013 and 2014,” said CAF.
“We have written to our affiliate PSL to confirm to the Association the two teams that are going to take part in CAF Interclubs Competitions 2014.
“The Association has also asked PSL to check on the preparedness of the two teams to participate in the said Competitions.”
Dynamos will take part in the Champions League while How Mine are expected to participate in the Confederation Cup after reaching the Mbada Diamonds Cup final and following Highlanders’ ban.Advertisement