Caps edge Ngezi to close in on PSL title as FC Platinum clobber Bosso 3-0 to stay in contention

Spread This News

SIMBA Nhivi scored the only goal that counted for Caps United to beat Ngezi Platinum at the National Sports Stadium on Sunday and garner maximum points to come close to winning their first championship in 11years.
Caps United came into the match hoping to win the championship with a game to spare in the event that they won against Ngezi Platinum and FC Platinum fail to beat Highlanders in another match at Mandava Stadium.
And when Nhivi scored after 36 minutes, capitalising on goalkeeper Nelson Chadya who made a mess of his clearance, Caps United supporters thought they had the championship in the bag.
However, with FC Platinum overcoming Highlanders 3-0 at Mandava, it meant the Green Machine celebration was only temporary as they will now have to wait until the very last day of the league programme.
FC Platinum scored their goals through midfielder Gerald Takwara, Walter Musona and Charles Sibanda to silence Highlanders.
However, there was violence at Mandava after FC Platinum coach, Norman Mapeza, was hit by a missile from the Bosso fans and had to be stretchered off as frustration on the pitch and in the stands built up.
With the victory, Caps United now have 60 points and still two ahead of second placed FC Platinum with one match left in the campaign. Caps United will travel to Gweru next to face Chapungu while FC Platinum will also be away to face Tsholotsho in their final match.
Ngezi, however, could have come out with a point against Caps United but Terrence Dzukamanja’s effort crashed against the upright post just after two minutes.
But Ngezi players mobbed Masvingo referee Arnold Ncube as they appealed for a penalty when Ronald Pfumbidzai, in a bid to clear the ball out of danger, appeared to have handled the ball in the penalty area. But the referee turned down their appeal.
Ngezi Platinum coach Tonderai Ndiraya summed it all up in his post-match interview.
“I thought Caps were in control in the first half. We had good chances of scoring. But we conceded what I can call a soft goal. We had the numbers in the box but we went to sleep and they scored. But in the second half, I thought we were a little bit in control, we threw many bodies forward. Good chances but we couldn’t score. I thought from where I was standing it was a penalty- a huge penalty shout but the ref thought otherwise.Advertisement

Job done … Simba Nhivi after scoring the solitary goal