By Bulawayo Correspondent
THE MDC Alliance’s urgent High Court application seeking to overturn a police ban on coalition leader Nelson Chamisa’s Kwekwe “thank you” rally this past Sunday, will now be heard on Thursday before Bulawayo High Court judge Nokuthula Moyo.
Police last week barred the firebrand opposition leader from proceeding with his first rally since his controversial electoral defeat July 30 citing the current typhoid outbreak in Gweru.
The Alliance immediately approached the High Court in Bulawayo on Friday with any urgent chamber application seeking to challenge the ban.
The application could however not be heard as judges were reportedly not present to hear the case.
It was then pushed to this Monday only to be further moved to Thursday.
The Alliance’s lawyer, Jabulani Maphosa told NewZimbabwe.com on Monday that although he had heard that the matter had been set for the 6th of September, he was still to be furnished with the notice of set down date by the High Court registrar.
However, MDC organising secretary Amos Chabiya confirmed the development.
“I am in Bulawayo and I can confirm that the matter has been postponed to Thursday this week. As a party, we do not see the logic in setting down a date for an urgent matter which was supposed to be heard on Friday last week,” he said.
Chibaya said the MDC Alliance believed that the government was afraid that if allowed to go ahead, Chamisa’s rallies may trigger unrest among Alliance supporters who feel their party was robbed of victory in the just ended elections.