Chibuku Super Cup: Harare City to face either Dynamos or Triangle in Final

Spread This News

By Sports Reporter

Harare City (1)
CAPS United (0) 1

DEFENDING champions Harare City powered into the final of the 2018 Chibuku Super Cup or the second year running after beating CAPS United 2-1 in the first semifinal at Rufaro Stadium on Saturday.

City will now await the winner of the other semifinal pitting Dynamos and Triangle at the same venue today.

The holders went ahead on six minutes through former CAPS United midfielder Moses Muchenje, who punished his former paymasters after finishing off a brilliant counter attack.

City, who were dominating the early exchanges, could have gone ahead but Malvin Gaki failed to convert two glorious chances including a sitter on the half hour mark when he failed to find the back of the net with only the goalkeeper to beat.

CAPS United coach Lloyd Chitembwe introduced the duo of Hardlife Zvirekwi and Kelvin Ndebele in place of Cabby Kamhapa and Charlton Munzambwa respectively before the break in a bid to add a new dimension to his team’s attack.

Although the changes appeared to yield the desired effected with CAPS United taking control of the game it was 2-0 on 69 minutes thanks to William Manondo against the run of play.

CAPS United, who have been going through a wretched run of form in the league however put on a strong challenge in the second half although they struggled to breach the City defence in what had been the story of their Chibuku Super Cup campaign.

Prior to the weekend semifinal, CAPS United had failed to score in their first two matches of the competition only to scrape through courtesy of penalty shootouts after goalless draws against Chapungu and ZPC Kariba in the first round and quarterfinals respectively.

The Harare giants finally broke their duck in the 86th minute through midfielder Joel Ngodzo although it was a little too late as Harare City held on to advance to their second consecutive Chibuku Super Cup final.

City coach Mark Harrison was delighted with his team’s solid performance in all departments.

“I’m absolutely delighted; I thought in the first half we were superb. Second half it was what it was. We knew they (CAPS United) had nothing to lose, they had everything to gain being a goal down.

He added: “I thought we defended the box quite well until the last minute. We also knew we had so much pace for them.

“Their back four is not the quickest in fact it should have been three or four by half time. With all due respect, once we got the second goal there was no coming back for them.”

Harare City have won the Chibuku Super Cup twice since it was reintroduced in 2014. They have also reached the last four in every edition.

In addition to claiming the winner’s cheque of $75 00, this year’s winners are expected to compete in next year’s tournament which will begin in December 2019, following the changes in the CAF format.