Chinese nationals in trouble for attempting to kill robbery suspects

Spread This News

TWO Chinese nationals were Thursday dragged to court on attempted murder allegations after they shot a Harare man and his girlfriend who they mistook for armed robbers.

Luo Tingpen, 27, and Li Yize, 27, appeared before Harare magistrate Rumbidzayi Mugwagwa who remanded them in custody to March 8.

They are being charged together with Gamuchirai Nigel Zuze, 23.

They were denied bail after it emerged that they had a related charge pending before Bindura Magistrates court in which they are being accused of unlawful disposal of firearms.

Prosecutor Sebastin Mutizirwa also opposed granting of bail to the accused on basis that they are holders of temporary Zimbabwe citizenship permits.

According to state papers, the unfortunate incident occurred on February 20 in Belgravia.

Kelvin Guzah and Kudzai Nduku were driving their car along an unnamed road in Belgravia when they heard gunshots and made a U –Turn before seeking refuge at Zuva Service Station.

Court heard the suspects who were also driving followed the two and shot Nduku on her pelvis before they chased Guzah who hid in a trench.

It is alleged that they approached him and started assaulting him before they shot him twice after dragging him out of the trench.

Prosecutors said they accused Guzah of having robbed their client earlier that day.

However, Thompson Runyowa, the suspect who had robbed their client, was nabbed and also appeared before the same magistrate facing robbery charges.

It is the state’s case that Runyowa of Vengere in Rusape waylaid the complainant, Jiang Long, who was on his way from Chipinge.

Court heard Long had gone to collect money from one of his shops.

When he arrived in Rusape, Runyowa and his other accomplices who are yet to be apprehended, followed behind Long while driving a Toyota Wish.

They allegedly blocked him between Marondera and Harare and fired gunshots at his car before they dragged him to the back seat and took control of the vehicle.

Court heard they drove to a busy area where they searched Long’s car and stole $8 300 and his cell phone.

The suspects drove to Long’s place of residence in Belgarvia where they ransacked his house and stole $3 000.

Runyowa and his accomplices fled from the scene after exchanging gunshots with Long’s security guards who reacted to the scene.

They abandoned their getaway vehicle and Runyowa was the only one who was apprehended at the scene of the crime.

Guzah and his girlfriend were caught in the crossfire when the security guards were chasing Runyowa’s accomplices.