By Staff Reporter
THE city of Bulawayo, which has remained a relatively free spot for cholera and other waterborne diseases outbreak, has recorded four suspected cases of the deadly disease with authorities tracing the ailments to Harare.
Reports said Saturday said three of the patients have been quarantined at Thorngrove Hospital.
Harare has suffered a devastating cholera outbreak that has claimed 27 lives while nearly 4 000 have also been infected.
The epicentre of the epidemic is Harare’s Glen View and Budiriro suburbs.
The high density residential areas have battled sanitation challenges with drinking water sources reportedly contaminated through recurrent sewer leakages.
Investigations into the source of the cases so far experienced in the country’s second largest city have linked the ailments to Harare.
Bulawayo City Council Senior Public Relations Officer, Nesisa Mpofu told the media that one patient is a 38-year-old Emganwini resident, who travelled to Harare and stayed in Glenview for two weeks.
The second is a lady who stayed in Gweru and has presented symptoms of typhoid. Gweru is grappling with a typhoid outbreak that has killed nearly a dozen.
The third patient is a 26-year-old male from Budiriro in Harare and stays in Entumbane, Bulawayo.
Government has since declared the outbreak in Harare a state of emergency, paving way for the mobilisation of resources to fight the scourge.
“We are declaring an emergency for Harare. This will enable us to contain cholera, typhoid and whatever is going on. We don’t want any further deaths,” Health and Child Care Minister Obadiah Moyo said after a recent tour to a hospital treating patients in Harare.
However, there are fears the country’s little resources could further be stretched by the spread of the disease in some parts of the country.