COURT: Top comedian charges co-tenant with extortion and hacking her social media

Spread This News

By Court Reporter

TOP Harare comedian Felistas Murata ,31, popularly known as Mai Titi has dragged a co-tenant to court claiming she hacked her social media accounts and went on to use her private information to extort $5,000.

The accused, Jeremiah Kanjanga, 24, recently appeared in court answering to a charge of theft of trust property and another one of unauthorized access or use of computer network as defined in section 163 of the Criminal codification Law and Reform Act of Zimbabwe.

Kanjanga however, denied the allegations insisting he never hacked into Murata’s Facebook accounts.

He told court that he was given the laptop alleged to have been stolen and was also authorized by the complainant to open and register an Econet line in her name.
Court heard that the accused was a Kombi driver and would assist with Mai Titi’s shows but she never paid him a cent saying she was the one responsible for his upkeep.

He said she forced him to leave his job and to work and stay with her.
According to prosecutors however, the two used to live together at Murata’s house in Marlborough.

Court heard they stayed together for six months during which they started chatting on Facebook. It was through Facebook that Kanjanga told Murata that he owned a television station.

Murata allegedly became interested in working with the accused since she was about to launch her Talk Show.

She then invited Kanjanga to the launch of her talk show at a Harare hotel.
It is alleged that the accused showed up and started working with Murata’s media crew.

Court heard the two started working together at Murata’s office in Hillside.

The accused then allegedly opened and registered an Econet line in the name of the complainant without her authorisation and went on to hack Murata’s Facebook account.

After that he started threatening to expose Murata’s secrets and also demanded $5,000 as hush money.

The State also alleges that Kanjanga was given a laptop by the complainant and failed to return it.

Harare magistrate Baba Mateo remanded the case to July 17 for trial continuation.