CHAMPIONS Dynamos’ participation in the African Champions League next year is hanging in the balance after their sponsors BancABC told them they would not be able to take care of their African Safari campaign.
Dynamos lifted the Castle Premier Soccer League title on Sunday- the third successive season they have won it after they beat challengers Highlanders and Harare City on superior goal difference.
Dynamos beat Black Mambas 2-0 while Highlanders defeated Shabanie Mine 3-1 with Harare City who went into the match needing a victory of any margin to lift their maiden championship battling to a 2-2 draw against Caps United thus surrendering the title to Dynamos.
As champions, Dynamos are expected to take part in the African Champions League but the club leadership yesterday doubted their capacity to take part in the prestigious competition because of lack of sponsorship.
Club chairman Kenni Mubaiwa said they met with their sponsors BancABC to map the way forward after they lifted the premiership crown but nothing materialized with regard to their participation in the African Champions League.
“We met our sponsors BancABC over our participation in Africa but they advised us they were not in a position to sponsor us in the African Champions League,” he said.
“It’s a major blow because we cannot afford to participate in the tournament without sponsorship. We have until Saturday to run around and look for sponsorship. If we fail to tie a sponsor by Saturday we will inform Zifa that we are unable to take part in the tournament said.”
Mubaiwa however, said BancABC undertook to continue bankrolling their operations on the domestic front.
Dynamos had earlier this year considered taking a break from participating in the continental tournament following their lacklustre performance which saw them exiting the tournament in the first round stage.
Zifa have until November 30 (Saturday) to register two teams for next year’s African Champions League and CAF Confederation Cup respectively.
While Dynamos gained entry courtesy of winning the Castle Lager Premier title, How Mine who play Highlanders in the final of the Mbada Diamonds Cup on Saturday, have been picked to participate in the second tier Confederation Cup.
This was because Highlanders were not be able to take part in Africa even if they win the knock out Cup because they are still serving their ban in continental competitions.Advertisement
As of Wednesday Zifa were not yet sure who they would register with the continental soccer mother body.
CAF this week released a statement to all national associations stating the regulations for the registration of the teams that will take part in the interclubs competition.
“All affiliated National Associations per the Interclubs Regulations have a deadline of 30th November 2013 to confirm their clubs’ engagements in the CAF Interclubs competitions (Orange CAF Champions League and Orange CAF Confederation Cup) for the season 2014,” the organisation said.
“Any Association who wishes to participate in the competitions shall send to the CAF secretariat an application accompanied by the admission fee of $300, and the application must reach CAF by mail, fax or e-mail not later than the 30th of November 2013.
“For the players’ registrations, a complete list of maximum 30 players must be registered or submitted to the CAF secretariat before the 31st December 2013. It can be amended, but after January 15 next year, the list becomes final and no new players can be added nor replaced.”