DJ Munya: State struggles to prosecute

Spread This News

THE State has failed to come up with a trial date some eight months since Star FM presenter Munyaradzi Milimo appeared in court charged with kidnapping and murder, the DJ’s lawyer complained Monday.
Milimo’s attorney, Archbod Madzima, was speaking during an application for relaxation of bail for the presenter and his two alleged accomplices.
The presenter, better known as DJ Munya, and accomplices Taurai Janhi and Mohammed Matare are accused of kidnapping and murdering Tinashe Magorimbo through poisoning.
The trio are currently out of custody on $300 bail granted by the High Court in June last year.
Milimo allegedly ordered Magorimbo’s murder, accusing him of having an affair with his wife.
“The State assured us when we appeared before magistrate Tendai Mahwe that the matter will be referred to trial. The second accused (Janhi) makes his livelihood as a cross border trader,” said defence lawyer Madzima.
“We are praying for a temporary release of his passport for six months with hope that by that time we will be furnished with a trial date.”
Prosecutor Sharon Mashavira opposed the lengthy release of Janhi’s passport but magistrate Donald Ndirowei granted the application.
“All accused persons will report once every month at Harare CID homicide. The accused’s passport is to be temporarily released today and returned on the next remand date, March 3 this year,” he said.
Prosecutors say Magorimbo was murdered after failing to pay DJ Munya US$4,000 compensation for having an affair with his wife.
Magorimbo is said to have paid US$1,000 in February but allegedly became evasive over the balance resulting in DJ Munya engaging Janhi and Matare to recover the rest of the cash.
Magorimbo was then reported missing on May 13 and police launched investigations leading to DJ Munya’s arrest.
Prosecutors claim that after he went missing, Magorimbo’s boss received a mobile phone text message demanding a US$5,000 ransom for his release.
On the same day, DJ Munya, allegedly went to Magorimbo’s Harare flat where he told his wife, Millicent, that her husband would return home the following day and ordered her not to report the matter to the police.
The next day, according to Millicent, a naked Magorimbo with hands tied together by a shoe-lace, staggered into the ground floor of their apartment building where he later collapsed.Advertisement

He was rushed to West End Hospital where, later, died the same day. A post-mortem examination established that he had died from poisoning.
DJ Munya and his accomplices however, deny the charges with defence lawyers arguing that prosecutors have not established a connection between their clients and the murder.