Ex-convicts back in the dock for murdering High Court Sherriff

Spread This News

By Mary Taruvinga

TWO former jailbirds have been arrested on fresh allegations of murdering a Harare High Court Sherriff and another Harare man before robbing them of their cars and other valuables.

Francis Alimonso (36) and Day Kaseke (26), were once convicted for a similar offence in 2014.

They served a jail term at Chikurubi Maximum Prison before they were released in June this year.

They appeared before Harare magistrate, Rumbidzai Mugwagwa facing fresh murder charges.

The two were denied bail on that they had previous convictions and that their accomplices were yet to be arrested on top of that they were facing serious offences.

According to court papers, the two allegedly murdered High Court Sherriff, Kelvin Takudzwa Karasa (30) on September 14 this year.

Karasa was on duty and was taking returns back to the office when he met the suspects in Epworth suburb where they stay.

They are said to have looked desperate and pleaded for a lift to go to Ruwa.

Karasa offered them transport and it is alleged that when they reached Mara Farm, one of the them asked to be dropped saying he had arrived at his destination.

When Karasa stopped the vehicle, they suddenly pounced on him.

It is further alleged they cut off the car seat belts before they dragged him for about 50 meters into the bush.

Court heard they tore Karasa’s suit and used it to blindfold him.

The two suspects used the seat belts to tie his legs and hands and went on to tie him to a tree using his torn suit.

The suspects, according to the state, went on then demand the deceased’s Ecocash Personal Identification Number (PIN) before they struck his head with an unknown object.

He died on the spot and was discovered two days later by a woman who was looking for firewood.

Court heard his body was already in a decomposing state.

It is alleged that the two went on to drive around in Karasa’s government vehicle before they dumped it in Harare central.

On October 1, using the same modus operandi, the two purportedly murdered Isheanesu Brian Kadenge, 24, who had offered them transport to Norton.

When they reached Lake Chivero turnoff, one of the suspects requested to be dropped off.

The two and their accomplices then attacked him and tore his clothes which they used to tie him to a tree in Mbizi Game Park.

His body was also discovered two days later by one Silindeni Mwachebe (66).

The two took his vehicle and dumped it in Harare CBD as well.

They were arrested in Epworth after a tip-off.

They led the police to stolen goods including wallets and cell phones belonging to the two deceased.

The suspects implicated other four accomplices who are yet to be apprehended.

Sebastian Mutizirwa appeared for the state.