Gabriel Nyoni joins SA second tier club Cape Umoya

Spread This News

By Sports Reporter

FORMER Highlanders and CAPS United forward Gabriel Nyoni has joined South African First Division side, Cape Umoya barely a week after officially parting ways with Absa Premiership side Maritzburg United.

Nyoni moves to the second tier following a disappointing stint with modest Absa Premiership side Maritzburg United in his debut season in the Super Diski.

He was released during the coronavirus lockdown after playing only 12 competitive games for the side.

Cape Umoya United, who finished 11th in the just ended GladAfrica Championship, announced Nyoni their first signing as they begin preparing for the coming season.

“Join us in Welcoming Gabriel Nyoni to ‘The Spirited Ones Family” – our first signing for the up-coming 20/21 #GladAfrica Championship Season,” posted the club on its social media accounts.

Nyoni said he has been impressed by the professionalism displayed by Cape Umoya.

“I have officially joined Cape Umoya United. I am completely in love with the purpose through which they do things. I am ready to work. Thanks to everyone who continues supporting my work,’’ posted Nyoni.

Nyoni joined Maritzburg at the beginning of the 2019/2020 season with high expectations from Zimbabwean side CAPS United but struggled with injury since joining the side and lost his place in United’s starting line-up.

Maritzburg United boss Farook Kadodia confirmed the Zimbabwean’s departure from the KwaZulu-Natal side.

“He is no longer with the club. He struggled a lot with the injury. He is a speedy player and he had niggling issues every time so he couldn’t give us that because of injury,” Kadodia told The Citizen.

“The coach felt he is no longer part of his plans and we had to let him go. There were injuries that kept him out. We had expected a lot from him. You are as good as your last game in football but overall we have nothing against the player and we wish him well for the future.”

Nyoni made his last appearance for the club on March 6 when they beat Polokwane City 1-0 at Harry Gwala Stadium before the Absa Premier Soccer League was suspended due to the COVID-19 pandemic.