Judge Grants Bail To Notorious Armed Robber Who Evaded Police For 20 years

Spread This News

By Mary Taruvinga

MUSA Taj Abdul (47) a notorious armed robber who was arrested in a movie style police raid after evading the law for 20 years, has been granted bail by High court judge Benjamin Chikowero.

Abdul was released together with his two co-accused Godfrey Mupamhanga (27), and Rudolf Tapiwa Kanhanga (29).

Adbul and Mupamhanga were granted $5 000 bail each while Kanhanga was released on $2 000 bail.

“The applicant is admitted to bail on the conditions that he deposits $5 000 with the clerk of court Harare magistrates court, he resides at Number 12 Adams Avenue, St Martins, Harare until this matter is finalised, reports at Sunningdale 2 Police Station every Friday and he does not interfere with state witnesses,” read Zhou’s judgement.

His accomplices were also given the same reporting conditions.

The trio was arrested in Beitbridge August with five others Charles Lundu (47), Tapiwa Mangoma alias Tapa (27), Innocent Jairosi (32), Prince Makodza (31) and Liberty Mupamhanga (29).

The trio and its accomplices are facing several charges of armed robbery.

Abdul was one of the country’s most wanted armed robbers and suspected to have masterminded a spate of criminal activities in Beitbridge and Harare.

He has been known for evading police arrests and escaping shootouts in which some of his accomplices were killed by police in several incidents around the country.

He was involved in a shootout with the police in March this year in Harare.

At the time the police had linked the gang to the nine cases of armed robberies, some of which include the one which occurred on December 20 last year at Wessel Shop in Msasa, Harare, where they disarmed a security guard and stole a special Amadeo Rossi revolver, $160 000 and an Isuzu KB240 single cab vehicle.

On February 5 this year, the gang allegedly went to Makoni Shopping Centre, Chitungwiza, armed with pistols, an AK47 rifle and robbed unsuspecting money changers of US$19 000, $30 000, cell phones and a Toyota Allion vehicle, which was later found abandoned in Glen View.