LATEST: ZRP says Byo blast injury toll now 49; offers ‘substantial’ reward for information  

Spread This News

By Staff Reporter

THE number of people injured in the as yet unexplained Saturday explosion at Bulawayo’s White City Stadium has risen to 49, police have revealed.

The blast occurred after President Emmerson Mnangagwa finished addressing a campaign rally at the venue.

On Sunday the ZRP appealed for information that may help ongoing investigations into the incident.

Addressing journalists at Police General Headquarters (PGHQ) in Harare national police spokesperson Senior Assistant Commissioner Charity Charamba said; “The Zimbabwe Republic Police is appealing for more information to aid the ongoing enquires.

“… And especially from the media because I know you have the important footage of the event which happened yesterday (Saturday).” 

“A substantial reward is being offered and anyone with information should contact CID Bulawayo on telephone number 0292-71568, Bulawayo Central Police 092-72515 or Criminal Investigations Department Headquarters on telephone number 0242-709134 or national complaints desk on telephone number 0242-703631 or WhatsApp number 0712800197 or any nearest police station.”

She added; “May I also appeal to the media to give the police and other security forces the space to conduct investigations in this matter.

“We are aware of your role of informing the public with regards to this case and certainly updates will be provided without affecting the status of the investigations,” she added.

The blast went off when Mnangagwa and his VIP entourage were leaving the stage.

The Zanu PF leader was unscathed but deputies Kembo Mohadi and Constintino Chiwenga, along with the latter’s wife Mary were briefly hospitalised after sustaining injuries.

Opposition leaders have since condemned the blast.

“Our prayers go out to the injured and we hope no lives have been lost. Violence must have no place in our politics,” MDC Alliance presidential candidate Nelson Chamisa said on Twitter

The United States and Britain were also among countries that condemned the explosion.