Man killed as police in shoot-out with robbers at his work place

Spread This News

A HARARE man was caught in a cross fire and shot dead during a shoot-out between armed robbers and police officers last Friday.

Chatsama Muchesa was killed while seated in his office in Malbrough after the police took cover at the premises where he worked.

Three armed robbers, Prince Chakodza,29, Amon Nhimura,29 and Carrington Mutevera,38 were also shot during the fight and are currently in hospital battling for their lives.

The other suspects are Cletos Mazewe, Tadziya Courage Dzvairo, 26, Respect Mwale, 30, Ben Mashingaidze, 39.

Nhimura died Monday morning and his accomplices were remanded on their hospital beds.

They were all denied bail and ordered to apply at the High Court after prosecutor Patience Chimusaru told the hearing that the suspects had been on the run for some time.

She said they had been terrorising Harare residents, murdering and stealing from their victims.

The suspects are answering to murder and also facing five counts of armed robbery.

Their victims include Munyaradzi Tafireyi, 27, Zhao Hong Wen, 50, Wang Fang Qing and Pafungei Mhepo.

The suspects stole $30 600 from Qing after robbing him at gun point.

On this incident they approached him while he was at his offices in Graniteside.

It is alleged that they arrived driving a white car and one of them remained in the vehicle while the others proceeded to the shop where they produced pistols and ordered customers and workers to lie down.

Court heard they searched customers and the shop owner and stole their cell phones and money.

They further ransacked the office at the premises and stole two satchels which contained $21 650.

Their loot was valued at $30 600 and nothing was recovered.

The suspects were on the list of wanted persons and their cases were being investigated by the police when on April 13 they were seen driving their Honda Fit registration number ACT 2727 in Malbrough.

It is alleged the police caught up with the suspects at Number 1 Adlyn Road and they allegedly sped off before they were cornered at the same address.

Court heard the suspects disembarked from their vehicle and started shooting at the police who fired back.

Chatsama, who was in his office, was caught in the cross fire and was killed on the spot.

The police managed to shoot three armed robbers before they apprehended them all.

Court heard the robbers were caught in possession of several pistols with erased serial numbers.