Match Day 5: CAPS United march on, Dynamos held

Spread This News

By Sports Reporter

Harare giants CAPS United continued with their superb start to the Castle Lager Premier Soccer League season after romping to a comfortable 4-1 victory over winless Bulawayo Chiefs at the National Sports Stadium Sunday.

Inform new signing Gabriel Nyoni scored in his second successive game while further goals by Joel Ngodzo, Dominic Chungwa and an own goal by Takunda Muzuva steered Makepekepe to their biggest win of the campaign so far.

Bulawayo Chiefs, who had failed to score in their first four matches, got their consolation goal from Thomas Chideu.

The win lifted CAPS United to fourth position on the log standings with 10 points although they have played a game less than log leaders FC Platinum while Bulawayo Chiefs are yet to pick a point in the league this season after losing all their four matches so far.

CAPS United coach Lloyd Chitembwe was pleased with his team’s performance, paying special tribute to his strikers after their four goal haul.

“We knew that one day we would win by four or five on we didn’t know that it would come this early in the season. What makes me happy is that the goals were scored by three members of the attacking. It shows that we have potent strikers,” Chitembwe told reporters during the post match press conference.

“I thought were in control in the first half especially with the two goals. They helped to settle because we knew that they would be sitting deep to defend. We were organised in the first 20, 30 minutes and the boys were at another level today,” he added.

CAPS United, who were overwhelming favourites heading into the match were gifted the opening goal after 11 minutes through an own goal by Muzuva, who deflected a John Zhuwawu header from a corner into goal.

With Chiefs offering very little going forward, CAPS United doubled the lead midway through the half when Nyoni received a pass from veteran defender Method Mwanjale before sweeping past his marker and dinking the ball over Chiefs goal minder David Bizabani.

Having spurned chances to stretch their lead in the first half CAPS United started the second half strongly with Chungwa heading home the third six minutes into the restart before Ngodzo blasted in the fourth from inside the box moments later.

Chideu who is on loan from FC Platinum pulled one back just after the hour but it was too late to complete a comeback as it ended in another defeat for Amakhosi Amahle. Ronald Chitiyo made his comeback after a lengthy lay off coming on as an 86th minute substitute.

“We gave Caps United a lot of respect in the first unlike last year when we did not fear any team. It’s because we have a lot of new players. The whole of the second half we were the better side but they were already sitting on a comfortable lead,” Bulawayo Chiefs coach Thulani Sibanda said.

Meanwhile, Tonderai Ndiraya has started his stint as Dynamos coach with a come from behind 1-1 draw against TelOne to end their three match losing streak in the league at Barbourfields Stadium.

The Wi-Fi Boys opened the scoring on the stroke of half time through an own goal by Munyaradzi Mawadza after he failed to deal with a cross from the left to miscue it past his goalkeeper.

DeMbare, who had missed several chances in the first half, found the equaliser 10 minutes into the second half through a well taken free kick by Cameroonian midfielder Vincent Mbega from the edge of the box.

Ndiraya’s charges had to play the last 20 minutes of the match with 10 men after Godfrey Mukambi was sent off after head butting Tafadzwa Sibanda in retaliation.

Despite the numerical disadvantage, Dynamos almost scored the winner in the 80th minute when Mbega hit the upright from another set-piece.

Castle Lager Premier Soccer League Week 5 Results

Sunday: CAPS United 4-1 Bulawayo Chiefs, Triangle United 0-1 Chapungu, Hwange 1-0

Manica Diamonds, Herentals 0-0 Ngezi Platinum, TelOne 1-1 Dynamos

Saturday: ZPC Kariba 2-1 Yadah FC, Chicken Inn 0-1 FC Platinum, Harare City 1-2 Black Rhinos, Mushowani Stars 0-0 Highlanders