New Zimbabwe.com

Mnangagwa: No Matebeleland person was involved in my poisoning

Spread This News

By Sechaba Lunkunku

PRESIDENT Emmerson Mnangagwa says he knows the people who sought to kill him through poisoning last year in August and they do not include anybody from Matebeleland.

Mnangagwa said this Friday at the Pelandaba Stadium in Gwanda from where he was airlifted after falling sick during one of President (then) Robert Mugabe’s youth interface rallies last year.

It was Mnangagwa’s first return to the place since the incident which many think accelerated events towards the November coup which ousted Mugabe.

“This is the land of our heroes. Our Father Zimbabwe, Dr Joshua Nkomo was from this province, even Jason Ziyaphapha Moyo was from this province. So Matabeleland South has contributed immensely to the liberation of this country.”

 “Do you remember what happened in August? I remember I was accompanied by VP Mohadi to Gweru. I don’t remember how I got into the helicopter. I have to tell you today that there is no one involved in that matter who is from Matabeleland,” said Mnangagwa.

“In this province, you have 13 constituencies. Matabeleland South during the 2013 election had a clean sweep of all 13 constituencies. This time around on 30 July are you going to give us another 100 percent? VP Chiwenga called your candidates and those who lost in the primaries to come up-front. In Zanu-PF, there is no one bigger than the party,” he added.

Last year, soon after the coup, Mnangagwa declared that he knew his would be assassins, saying he had forgiven them.

Mnangagwa, who was treated in South African following the incident also declared early this year that his doctors had declared him ‘poison free’.