By Robert Tapfumaneyi
CONTROVERSIAL Information deputy minister Energy Mutodi Thursday torched a social media storm when he suggested men should stop hiring sex workers as a form of trying to minimise the possible outbreak and spread of the deadly coronavirus in the country.
“As we launch the Coronavirus National Preparedness Campaign, we are discouraging close personal contact in queues including the hiring of sex workers,” Mutodi said.
“Sex workers are at high risk of person to person transmission and can spread the virus quickly in urban areas and growth points.”
However, his comments invited a backlash from Twitter users who reminded the government official coronavirus was not a sexually transmitted ailment.
“Sex workers are at high risk of person to person transmission, Mr Mutodi this is a virus and it is a pandemic and it’s not sexually transmitted. Stop politics and start educating people properly and protecting them all equally,” @crimsontazvinzwa posted.
Brian Rupiya posted, “Mutodi never disappoints, he wants to trend more than Corona.”
“Rather talk about public gathering sex workers do not work in publics. What the obsession with sex workers,” @Aspire added, while Flora Ruramai said, “I think you should abstain from sex, including sex with small houses.”
Others felt the Zanu PF loyalist should instead try to proffer advice on how millions of locals who endure long fuel, roller meal and cash queues as a direct result of poor leadership by Zimbabwean rulers, could help their situation.
Other felt Mutodi’s comments were a continuation of apparent insensitivity shown by some Zanu PF politicians towards those tormented by the rampaging disease.
This comes after Defence Minister Oppah Muchinguri-Kashiri said last week the coronavirus was a curse imposed by God on western countries that imposed sanctions on Zimbabwe.
“Shut up Muchinguri said it’s for US sanctions, are you happy that people are dying,” @Frank posted.