THE National Arts Council of Zimbabwe (NACZ) has announced nominees for the 14th edition of the National Arts Merit Awards.
The award ceremony will be held in Harare at the 7 Arts Theatre on February 14.
In a press statement NACZ Communications and Marketing Officer Cathrine Mthombeni, said over 600 entries were submitted for adjudication.
She however expressed disappointment at the quality of some of the entries.
“The general observation by adjudicators is the quality of submissions that did not portray the actual levels of artistic excellence and innovation. It could have been that the artists faced challenges of resources enabling them to submit adequately packaged entries.
“NACZ cannot over emphasise the importance of adhering to submission requirements. It is the onus of the entrant to ensure that adequate, high quality support material is submitted for the awards selection, so as not to undermine the process,” said Mthombeni.
The list of nominees raised a few eyebrows with some of the nominees selected for work done after the November 30 deadline and for productions which have not yet been released.
The artists will be awarded under nine categories, dance, Film and Television, Literary Arts, Media, Music, Promoter, Spoken Word, Theatre and Visual Arts.
There are three special awards to be awarded on the night, which are Arts Service Award, Arts Personality Award and People’s Choice Award.
This year, the arts body has added the Lifetime Achievement Award.
In the outstanding Male Dancer category it will be a battle of the titans with Stanley Wasili and McIntosh Jerahuni both of Tumbuka Dance Company battling it out with Rueben Mlauzi of IYASA.
In the female category, the trio of Charlene Chimara (Dance Trust of Zimbabwe), Cheryl Mabaya (IYASA) and Maylene Chenjerai (Tumbuka Dance Company) will square up for the queen of the dance floor title.
In the film and television category, there were surprise nominations especially in the outstanding actor category. Philani Nyoni who features in the yet to be released movie, Qiniso, is up against Partwell Nazvo for his role in Prophets of Doom and veteran actor, Nash Mphepho for his part in Dust and Fortunes.
Qiniso will only premiere in Bulawayo on February 7. Advertisement
The outstanding music video category is very popular with many music fans. Makanika by Willard Magombedze featuring Jah Prayzah, Gudo Guru by Munyaradzi Nota featuring Changamire and Nipe Rudo by Andy Cutta featuring Sanii Makhalima have been nominated for the award.
Without any doubt, the most anticipated awards are the Outstanding Female and Male musician, Oustanding Song, Album and People’s Choice Awards.
In the outstanding female musician category, Zimbabwe Music Awards (ZIMA) big winner Cynthia Mare will face stiff competition from Cindy Munyavi and Agatha Murudzwa.
In the male category, it promises to be a battle between two prominent dance hall artists, Tocky Vibes and Shinsoman. However, they will have to brush aside Sulumani Chimbetu to land the award.
In the outstanding song category, Tocky Vibes’ Mhai, will be up against Jah Prayzah’s Kumbumura Mhute and Killer T’s Popopopo.
Mthombeni further notes that by holding the awards the government seeks to stimulate the growth of the arts industry.
“NAMA is the forum where NACZ recognizes outstanding achievements within the arts sector. By rewarding excelling artists, NAMA stimulates more interest in the arts and raises the profile of the same.
“The awards are a means of encouraging creativity and excellence in the quality of the arts, making Zimbabwe a force to reckon with on the region and international arena,” said Mthombeni.
FULL LIST OF 14TH NAMA NOMINEES
1. DANCE AWARDS
Outstanding Male Dancer
1. Stanley Wasili of Tumbuka Dance Company
2. Reuben Mlauzi of IYASA
3. McIntosh Jerahuni of Tumbuka Dance Company
Outstanding Female Dancer
1. Charlene Chimara of Dance Trust of Zimbabwe
2. Cheryl Mabaya of IYASA
3. Maylene Chenjerai of Tumbuka Dance Company
1. Ketan Nagar in The Caterpillar Dance by Kinkini – The Voice of Dance
2. Sean George Mabwere in International Skrillex Remix by M &M Dance Factory
3. Richard Ndlovu in The Official opening of the African Union Sports Commission Region V Youth Games by the Ministry of Sport, Arts and Culture
Outstanding Dance Group
1. M &M Dance Factory
2. Dance Trust of Zimbabwe
2. FILM AND TELEVISION AWARDS
1. Philani Nyoni in Qiniso
2. Partwell Nazvo in Prophets of Doom
3. Nash Mphepho in Dust and Fortunes
1. Bianca Magwenzi in Tariro
2. Stella January in Dust & Fortunes
3. Nothando Nobengula in Beyond
Outstanding Screen Production – Full length film
1. Sour Milk by Melgin Tafirenyika
2. Tariro by Malon Murape
3. Dust & Fortunes by Justice Chapwanya
Outstanding Screen Production – Short Film
1. My Dream by Sheunesu Moyo
2. The Calling by Mhle Nzima
3. The Journey from Rural to Ramp by Jill Roberts and Lynette Frewin
Outstanding Screen Production (Television)
1. One Family Can by Johannes Machingauta
2. The Other Brother by Charity Mahowa-Matavo
3. Mr Perfect by Gugulethu Ndlovu
Outstanding Music Video
1. Makanika by Willard Magombedze ft. Jah Prayzah
2. Gudo Guru by Munyaradzi Nota ft. Changamire
3. Ndipe Rudo by Andy Cutta ft. Sanii Makhalima
3. LITERARY AWARDS
Outstanding First Creative Published Work
1. Shards written by Cynthia Marangwanda Published by Ko.Maseko Publishers
2. Revai written by Ropofadzo Mupunga Published by Zimbabwe Women Writers
3. A Struggle Alike written by Debra Vakira Published by Zimbabwe Women Writers
Outstanding Children’s Book
1. Little Hare Stories – Big Trouble at the River written by Enock Chihombori Published by Xlibris
2. Mombe Yamai written by Chenjerai Mazambani Published by Bhabhu Books
3. Around the Fire – Folktales from Zimbabwe edited by Raisedon Baya and Christopher Mlalazi Published by Multimedia Box
Outstanding Fiction Book
1. Mukoma’s Marriage and Other Stories written by Emmanuel Sigauke Published by Booklove Publishers
2. Bhuku Risina Basa Nokuti Rakanyorwa Masikati written by Memory Chirere Published By Bhabhu Books
3. Writing Lives edited by Irene Staunton Published by Weaver Presss
Outstanding Journalist Print
1. Sharon Muguwu – Daily News
2. Tinashe Muchuri – Parade
3. Garikai Mazara – Sunday Mail
Outstanding Journalist TV
1. Josephine Mugiyo – ZBC
2. Sifiso Mpofu – ZBC
Outstanding Journalist Radio
1. Tawanda Gudhlanga – SFM
2. Tendai Chakanyuka – Power FM
3. Jackson Madzimba – SFM
Outstanding Online Media
1. 3 Men On a Boat
2. Writers International Network (WIN)Zimbabwe
5. MUSIC AWARDS
Outstanding Female musician
1. Cindy Munyavi
2. Cynthia Mare
3. Agatha Murudzwa
Outstanding Male musician
1. Obey Makamure aka Tocky Vibes
2. Antonio Romeo aka Shinsoman
3. Sulumani Chimbetu aka Sulu
1. Mhai from Mhai by Tocky Vibes
2. Kumbumura Mhute from Kumbumura Mhute by Jah Prayzah
3. Popopopo from Tirikumhanya by Killer T
1. Gunship by Sulumani Chimbetu
2. Kumbumura Mhute by Jah Prayzah
3. Mhai Singles Collection by Tocky Vibes
6.SPOKEN WORD AWARDS
1. Mike Matimba aka Uncle Ritchie
2. Victor Mpofu aka Doc Vikela
3. Clive Chigubhu
1. Tatenda “Dhege” Chinoda
2. Likhwa Ncube
3. Sithandazile Dube
1. Rumbidzai Karize in The Convert
2. Bathabile Dlamini in Umbiko KaMadlenya
3. Lawayne Muzite in Connections
1. Tichaona Mutore in Maids
2. Jasen Mphepho in 1000 Miles
3. Memory Kumbota in Umbiko KaMadlenya
1. Nelson Mapako for Umbiko KaMadlenya
2. Ali-Jarmil Mutodzaniswa for Connections
Outstanding Theatrical Production
The Convert by Almasi Collaborative Arts
KaMadlenya by Intwasa Arts Festival koBulawayo
Connections by Pamushana High School
VISUAL ARTS AWARDS
Outstanding 2 Dimensional Work
Undressing to Redress by Wallen Mapondera
Farming and Production by Webster Mubayirenyi
Song from Within by Boarding Dzinotizei
Outstanding 3 Dimensional Work
Mwana Wedangwe by Rufaro Murenza
Contemporary Scourge by Forbes Mushipe
Jacket of Love by Israel Israel
Outstanding Mix Media
The Challenged by Forbes Mushipe
Different Roots, Same Destination by Ngonidzashe Tsiga
Disappearing Faces by Rizimu Chiwawa
Social Zoometry by Wallen Mapondera
Women at the Top by Doreen Sibanda and Thandazani Dhlakama
Crossing the Bridge by Clifford Zulu
9. OTHER AWARDS
Arts Service Award
Arts Personality Award
People’s Choice Awards
Lifetime Achievement Award