Residents demand mayor to occupy mansion

Spread This News

By Kwekwe Correspondent

Kwekwe Mayor, Angeline Kasipo is yet to move into the city’s mayoral mansion nearly a year after being elected to the influential position.

Residents are now growing impatient and are demanding that she occupies the residence.

The first female mayor in the Midlands’ second provincial capital Kasipo confirmed in an interview that she was yet to move into the mansion, which is in Kwekwe’s leafy suburbs of Hillandale.

“It is true I am yet to move into the mayoral mansion as there are still some issues which need to be sorted out,” Kasipo said without elaborating.

This is despite that former mayor Matenda Madzoke has already moved out of the mansion.

Madzoke only moved into the mansion late 2016, a year before the end of his term.

Then, the mansion was last occupied in 2013 by then former Mayor Stanford Bonyongwa, who had refused to vacate the premises following his departure from council same year.

Bonyongwa claimed that the mansion was part of his exit package.

He then only moved out of the Hillandale mansion in 2013 after the local authority allowed him to buy another council property in Newton at half its market value.

The then mayor and current Kwekwe Deputy Mayor Shadreck Tobaiwa and his team had initially refused to sell the house saying it was against council policy.

But council later reneged and resolved at its December 4, 2012 special council meeting to sell the New town House, valued at $92 00, to Bonyongwa ay half the price.

Kwekwe residents say the mayor must move into the mansion as it was the rate payers’ monies which are supposed to maintain the place.

“The mayor must occupy the mansion as it is the rate payers who are paying towards maintenance of the place,” said Kwekwe Residents and Rate Payers Association (KRRA) secretary general Alex Homela

“We don’t expect the house to lose value because it is not being occupied. We expected that after her election to the top post, the mayor was going to occupy the mansion. It took years for the former mayor to occupy the place and we don’t expect that to happen again.”