ZBC explains why news head still at work despite $1mln fleece charge

Spread This News

By Staff Reporter

ZBC news chief Tazzen Mandizvidza

THE Zimbabwe Broadcasting Corporation (ZBC) says it has sued its head of news over a one-million-dollar after he failed to honour a repayment plan which was part of the conditions for his return to work.

News and current affairs director Tazzen Mandizvidza was, back in 2014, suspended along with other senior executives on allegations of looting the ever-struggling public broadcaster.

Other bosses also sent home at the time included then CEO Happyson Muchechetere as well as Allan Chiweshe (general manager radio services), Elliot Kasu (general manger finance) and Ralph Nyambudzi (head of finance).

Mandizvidza was conditionally re-hired after he reportedly turned informer against his co-accused.

However, earlier this week, the broadcaster surprisingly slapped him with a US$1 million lawsuit although he continues to report for work.

Asked why, the corporation was acting four years after the allegations were raised, CEO Patrick Mavhura said the case had never been resolved or closed.

“The case hasn’t been revived after 4 years,” Mavhura told

“It was never closed actually from the onset; because his (Mandizvidza’s) re-engagement was based on the condition that he offered a payment plan of that amount.  

He added; “The issue was not handled by management.

“It was being handled by the board and his re-engagement was negotiated through the board and the ministry (of information).

“So, the board has been handling even that issue of his re-payment plan. You (can) get more details from the (board chairman); They were the ones having meetings and correspondence with him; management is not involved.”  

On why Mandizvidza was still coming to work when he has case to answer, Mavhura said it was out of good faith that he would repay back the money.

“His (Mandizvidza) re-instatement was on the condition that he offered or avail a re-payment plan, it was like an out of court settlement that has now resulted in a stalemate,” said the CEO.

“But get the details from the board chairman Father Gibson Munyoro. He was also handling all issues involving other suspended members like Eliot Kasu (former general manager finance) and Chiweshe former general manager Radio Services).

“They were not handled by me; they were being handled by the board … for us we were just told that he has been re-instated find him something to do.”

Mandizvidza and his co-accused were suspended pending disciplinary action for allegedly prejudicing the broadcaster of over $7 million.