New Zimbabwe.com

Zim Quarantines Traveller From China’s Coronavirus ravaged Hunan Province

Spread This News

By Staff Reporter


A NEW traveller from Hunan, a Chinese province most battered by the raging coronavirus scourge that has claimed thousands of lives around the world, has been placed under quarantine for assessment upon arrival by Zimbabwean authorities.

In a statement Sunday, the Ministry of Information said full World Health Organisation (WHO) protocols were observed. The ministry did not mention the nationality of the traveller.

“Government would like to inform the public that today (Sunday), a traveller from Hunan Province in China was flagged up as needing assessment for coronavirus,” the ministry said.

“The traveller has now been taken to designated isolation facilities where tests are being conducted. Full WHO protocols were deployed.”

Last week, a Zimbabwean woman who had returned to Zimbabwe from China was readmitted and put under isolation at Wilkins Hospital in Harare for further tests.

The first outbreak of coronavirus was first detected in Hunan province. The death toll in China from the virus was on Sunday at 2 872.