Zimbabwe Warriors beaten by Angola

Spread This News

ZIMBABWE and Angola drew 2-2 in the four-nation tournament third-place play-off match at the Levy Mwanawasa Stadium in Ndola, Zambia on Saturday afternoon. 

Sunday Chidzambwa made nine changes to the team that faced Zambia in the semi-final clash on Wednesday. The Warriors were defeated 5-4 on penalties by Chipolopolo following a 2-2 draw in Ndola.

Orlando Pirates midfielder Marshall Munetsi and SuperSport United striker Evans Rusike were the only two players, who were retained by accomplished Zimbabwean tactician Chidzambwa.

Angola coach Srdjan Vasiljevic decided to name his star forward Djalma Campos in his starting line-up as Palancas Negras were looking to bounce back from their defeat to South Africa.

Bafana Bafana had to fight back to hold Palancas Negras to a 1-1 stalemate in a semi-final encounter in Ndola on Wednesday and the former went on to win 6-5 on penalties.

The Warriors managed to break the deadlock 22 minutes into the game and it was former Kaizer Chiefs striker Abbas Amidu, who hit the back of the net to make it 1-0 to Zimbabwe.

Palancas Negras then pushed for the equalizing goal, but the 2006 Fifa World Cup participants were finding it difficult to unlock the Warriors defence which was led by Divine Longa.

However, Angola did level matters through Djalma on the stroke of half-time – beating Warriors goalkeeper Edmore Sibanda to make it 1-1.

The score was 1-1 at the interval between Angola and Zimbabwe.

Another entertaining half followed as the two teams attacked each other in search of more goals in the third largest city in Zambia, Ndola.

The Warriors’ lead was restored by Talent Chawapiwa, who found the back of the net to make it 2-1 to Zimbabwe seven minutes into the second half.

However, Chidzambwa’s charges lost concentration again and Djalma was there to punish the reigning Cosafa Cup champions.

The Greece-based forward beat Sibanda for the scored time into stoppage time and the match ended in a 2-2 draw in regulation time, and a penalty shootout followed.

Angola went on to defeat Zimbabwe 4-2 on penalties and the Palancas Negras finished third in the four-nation tournament.