Chamisa hails African Continental Free Trade Area

Spread This News

MDC-T President Nelson Chamisa has welcomed the establishment of the African Continental Trade Area (AfCFTA) under the Kigali Declaration.

The agreement was signed at the 10th Extra Ordinary Summit of the African Union in Kigali, Rwanda Wednesday.

Forty- four of 55 African Union member states appended their signatures to the agreement which will create a massive free-trade area to improve regional integration and boost economic growth across the continent.

The agreement will see countries that have signed and ratified it removing tariffs on 90 percent of goods, while the remaining 10 percent, categorised as sensitive, being considered later.

It now remains for individual countries to ratify the agreement.

In a statement, Chamisa said the agreement was a progressive step towards the removal of colonial boundaries and will allow Africans to do business freely among themselves.

“The historic signing of the Continental Free Trade Area confirms Africa’s time is now. Without doubt, this epic development will help catapult and boost trade within the continent and beyond,” he said.

He said an African continent without borders and with one currency was possible, adding Africa cannot allow itself to be divided by colonial borders anymore.

The MDC-T leader said the spirit of unity exhibited by the African leaders who appended their signatures to the agreement should cascade down to individual countries.

“I do hope and pray that the spirit of unity and progress exhibited by our leaders will be reinforced in individual nations where communities are broken and hurt,” he said.

He said African leaders should now move to address the issues of disputed elections in the continent, neglected citizens, conflict and violence.